[macvoiceover] question regarding changing file types

  • From: Marty Rimpau <mrimpau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 18:52:31 -0700

Hi all, I was helping a friend out, so I sent her a vlc player update, and the name of the file is

vlc-0-1.9.9a-intel.dmg,
but when I helped her to install it, we first copied the small files I wanted to change to open with vlc, when looking in the get info dialog, we couldn't find any pop-up button to indicate which player opened up with the file type, even though i-tunes is the default player, and maybe I was over my head, but she has trouble following instructions, but what might I have done wrong, since we copied the .app file to the applications folder, and ran the program, then deleted the .dmg image from the finder. There should have been a pop- up button to indicate which player would open with the two file types in question, and if this is not vo related, please contact me off list, but maybe she needs to install flip for mac, not sure, but I had no trouble, initially, when I did this on my machine in October,even though, I changed the file association for only 1 file, which made that file sore to 64 megs, but she really needs help, and I don't know if we did something incorrectly when installing vlc, or what, or, if it needs a .dmg file that is larger in size, because I sent her the latest version of vlc player that I had, so maybe that had something to do with it. I would have had her change the file type in the main folder of stations, but I don't like a 4 kb file modified to an 8 kb file, !!!I know I'm picky, "lol," but maybe that's where I went wrong, not sure, but any assistance would greatly be appreciated with this, and thanks in advance.