[macvoiceover] Re: problems with alex

  • From: keith Brown <kbrownother@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 22:42:19 +0100

Cheryl, love your humorous end to this message. cheers for all the info also.

Keith Brown

On 5 Oct 2015, at 17:57, Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you command-tab, don't continually command-tab. Be sure to command tab and
then release and command tab back. This is also true if you run into
instances where you get finder has no windows which I also saw in Yosemite.
Of course this requires that you have another application running. Sometimes
if you command tab and wait or even do nothing the voice will come back
without turning voiceover on and off. Also, how full is your drive? That
might be a factor. If you are running the latest OS, you are running First
Aid; I think it actually no longer says "repair permissions" per se though
maybe it's the same thing. If voiceover quits talking during this operation,
it may come back on by itself as mine did when it happened the other day. My
braille display never stopped working; just the speech. I just now tried this
again without a braille display and voiceover again quit speaking but did
come back again once first aid was completed. I think that sometimes
something seems to trigger an overload with boiceover's speech and at times
it's best to just sit and wait a couple of minutes if you have the time and
patience before doing anything as more activity just places more demands on
the speech. I don't know for sure if that's the actual problem and I don't
think it's a direct memory issue but it seems to me something like that is
happening. As for rebooting, maybe do it after you have made some kind of
change or have run first aid; you shouldn't need to be constantly rebooting
your computer when you are running Mac OS.

Of course since Alex isn't a real person, that voice can't ever "feel like"
doing or not doing anything which is probably a good thing for us! But of
course I frequently catch myself talking about Siri that way and even bawl
the program out as if it were a person! But I've lately decided it's a good
thing to keep the distinction between real people and machine constructs and
voices separate in thought and word though it isn't easy.

--
Cheryl

On Oct 5, 2015, at 5:21 AM, Keith Brown <kbrownother@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have rebooted several times the problem seems to be getting better
although it's still on occasions drops the speech out for no reason

Sent from my iPhone

On 5 Oct 2015, at 10:38, Tuscia Falconer <tusciafalconer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Reboot.

TF

On 5/10/2015, at 9:17 PM, keith Brown <kbrownother@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have just upgraded to the latest mac OS, i am using a mid 2011 mac mini
with 16 GB ram. the issue i am having is that Alex just stops when it
feels like and i either have to turn VO on and off or command tab a few
times to get feedback. i have repaired disk permissions but still no luck

any suggestions appreciated.

Keith Brown