[macvoiceover] Re: problem with vuescan or abbyy finereader express on Yosemite

  • From: covici@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 18:45:10 -0400

Can you use Abbyy directly, that way you would have an image file for
each page.

Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's just one tiff file that is created by vuescan.

--
Cheryl

The name of Jesus is not only light but also food;
it is also oil, without which all food of the
soul is dry;
it is salt, without whose seasoning whatever is set before us is insipid;
finally, it is honey in the mouth,
melody in the ear,
rejoicing in the heart,
and at the same time medicine.
Every discourse in which his name is not spoken is without savor.
(Bernard as quoted in Calvin's Institutes)

On Aug 11, 2015, at 5:18 PM, covici@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Is there a folder with all the images like on Windows?

Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I realize this may be offtopic but I don't know where else to write since
i'm not subscribed to a bunch of Mac lists. You are welcome to respond
offlist to cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx>.

I have used vuescan and Abbyy Finereader Express for years. I have
finereader pro but I hate it; i think it's a complicated pain in the neck!
Okay, personal opinion!

I have done very large files with vuescan and abbyy but it has been a
while so I don't know whether my problem is due to yosemite, Abbyy,
vuescan or something else. I have an over 400-page book. I have scanned it
twice; those of you who know how long that takes will understand why I am
rather upset at the moment; it takes time to scan that long a book! But
both times, when I sent it through Abbyy, it only saw 85 pages. I am sure
it isn't anything in the pages being scanned because I had the first time
done a few pages in another file and then continued in this file that only
gives me 85 pages so it isn't that there's some page that is crashing
things. As far as I know everything is fine until I send it to Abbyy. i've
done much larger books with Abbyy and with vuescan and I've looked online
and can find no explanation. Is there something else I can use to convert
this tif file or at least find out if it really only has 85 pages or is
just not being fully read by Abbyy? I've spent HOURS on this project plus
how will I ever scan a book again until I solve this - at least any large
book?! Any suggestions would be appreciated; I don't know if there's a way
to get finereader pro for Mac to convert this file or not. Maybe there's
something really obvious I'm not realizing, but frankly finding that out
would be just fine at the moment!

--
Cheryl

"Today, all sorts of subjects are eagerly pursued;.
but the knowledge of God is neglected….
Yet to know God is man's chief end, and justifies his existence.
Even if a hundred lives were ours,
this one aim would be sufficient for them all."
(Calvin: commentary on Jeremiah 9:24.)

Alternatives:

How do
you spend it?