[macvoiceover] Re: prepare for Leopard:

  • From: "Ron J." <Ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:47:46 -0500

Hi David, and all fellow listers,

In answer to this post, here's what I've been able to glean, as to new VO features:

1. Ability to use Braille displays to both install the OS, and update it. 2. Place your VO preferences on a "jump-drive", plug it into any Mac running Leopard, and it will automatically configure VO to match your personal VO settings. When you leave that Mac, there won't be any trace you've ever been there. This is reminiscent of Freedom Box's portable version of their system. 3. Application "hot spots". Define up to 10 of these, per application, and when things change in them, VO will speak the changes, and allow you to jump to those areas, or take appropriate actions. This hearkens back to the days of Enable-Reader, TinyTalk, etc. 4. Now, you'll be able to program your numeric keypad with your most commonly used VO functions - i.e. 8=Line Up, 2=Line Down, 4=Word, or Char Left, 6=Word, or Char Right, 5=Click (select), etc. Now, we VO- users will be able to navigate our Macs, similar to how most other screen reader users do. 5. The ability to search web pages, and other documents, by headings, tables, links, text-attributes, objects, text-strings, etc, and you'll also be able to save 64 of your most frequently used searches. 6. A "Braille Pannel". This will give the user a virtual representation of the Braille, along with an English text translation.
        7. Customizable Braille Display input keys.
8. Ability to use Contracted, & Non-Contracted, Braille (computer Braille). 9. Drag-&-Drop support. Use Drag-&-Drop actions, by keyboard only, in accessible applications. This feature was present in the "Spoken Interface Preview", only available in Mac OS X 10.3.4, during the initial development phase of VO. For some reason, this feature was left out of the initial release of VO - I suspect it needed additional refinement. 10. Misspelled Word Detection. Hear when words are misspelled as you read text. YOu can be alerted to this by a tone, or spoken description. 11. Integrated, Interactive Tutorial allows you to learn VO in a safe, non-destructive, environment, so you can practice while you learn. 12. Positional Audio Effects. There are many new sound effects in VO, which should help the user gain a better sense of what's going on in their Mac's environment. 13. Hilite by Word, or Sentence. Now, you'll be able to set the VO- Cursor to hilite each word, or sentence, as it is spoken. 14. New VoiceOver utility provides many more options, & preferences for customizing VO more easily. 15. Improved Application Accessibility. Bundled Leopard applications, and utilities, have been enhanced for greater VO accessibility.

As you can see, VO has been radically upgraded! While all these new features are going to increase the learning curve for us, I think using our Macs is going to become much more efficient, fun, and enjoyable!

My sighted roommate, & I, have pre-ordered our copy of Leopard from Mac Mall, and are eagerly awaiting it's arrival at our door on Friday! I can hardly wait to dive in and see what fun awaits!

This has all been 2.5 years in the making, and I'm sure it'll be well worth the wait!

        Enjoy!

Ron

On Oct 21, 2007, at 12:38 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

Hi all,

I've been seeing some discussion on this list and in other places which lead me to caution folk using VO to read the VO info in leopard carefully as there are likely to be big changes. We have already heard about the braille support and the new alex voice. One can only wonder at what is to come, new keystrokes? New capabilities? I'm looking forward to it with huge excitement!

--
Jonnie Appleseed
With His

Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to macvoiceover- request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover

Ron J. | AKA Ganahee

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals. Then something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we learned to talk."

From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".