[macvoiceover] Re: odd behavior with Itunes

  • From: Greg Williams <greg.williams.1978@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 00:42:40 -0500

Hi Mark,
I am not exactly sure what is going on, but I can suggest a couple of things to try. First bring up itunes preferences with command comma and go to the advanced settings. There it will show you the default music folder location for itunes to store music; check in the finder and see if the songs you imported are being stored in subfolders of this folder. If they are not, find the exact path of where they are on your finder. In itunes select one of the songs and press command i to bring up the item info dialog; select the "summary tab" and VO down twice; you should hear "where:" followed by the location where itunes is looking for the song. Check to see if this matches the path you found in the finder. I am not sure why you can play them in quick look and not in itunes; my only guess is that somehow they are showing up under your network folder on the other drive but never physically got copied to your mac's hard drive and that quick look is able to play them over the connection but itunes is not. The info from the above steps should tell you if this is correct or not. My best recommendation, if the songs are not showing up in thee itunes music directory, is to go to the files menu and click consolidate library under the library submenu. This will copy all files listed in the itunes library to the default itunes music folder and guarantee that they are on the hard drive. If that does not work, then plan B is select all the songs in itunes and remove them from the itunes library. This will not actually delete the files if they are not in the default itunes music location (if you do remove a song that is in the default location, it will give you a choice to delete them or keep them). Now bring up the advanced pane in itunes preferences again and check the checkbox that says "copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library". This will make itunes do exactly what it says. I would also recommend checking "keep itunes music folder organized", but that is personal preference, and I sometimes uncheck that if I am importing songs that I don't want organized that way. If consolidating your library did not work, then itunes is probably not able to directly copy the files from where they are; so in the finder manually copy them into the itunes music folder. Now press command o and re-import the songs into the itunes library. If there are no other files in the itunes music folder, then you can just import the itunes music folder, but if there are already other albums there, you will have to select album by album or you will end up with duplicates in your library. From now on with the "copy files" check in itunes preferences, you shouldn't have to worry about this issue occurring again. If this doesn't work, or if you have questions, let me know (my instructions may not be clear to anyone but me).
Hope that helps,
Greg

On Mar 8, 2009, at 2:42 PM, Mark Baxter wrote:

I only have one library; Music, it's a huge playlist.

Mark BurningHawk

Skype and Twitter:  BurningHawk1969
MSN:  BurningHawk1969@xxxxxxxxxxx
My home page: