[macvoiceover] Re: mac OS on a pc

  • From: Robin Kipp <robin.kipp@xxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 18:35:36 +0100

Sorry, but I also do not understand why Apple would do or even just want that.
Apple is not only famous for the great operating system, but also for their
good-looking, high quality hardware products. If every machine in the world
could basically run Mac Os X, this would probably negatively affect Apple's
reputation. One of the many reasons why Windows is so unstable is the many
different computer configurations available on the market. Microsoft always has
to come up with generic drivers which will (hopefully) work on most computers,
but may then have to be replaced with drivers provided by the individual
hardware manufacturers. If these drivers don't operate correctly with Windows,
the whole thing goes "boom!!!" and may negatively affect computer performance.
This is only a bit different for open source Linux distributions, because of
the large developer communities and the ability for technically anyone to go
and fix observed bugs. The reason why Apple is not affected by that is because
they know what hardware is used in their computers and other products.
Therefore, the correct drivers are integrated on the installation medium right
away and can be tested for full functionality by Apple directly. So, for all
the freaks out there who want to run Mac Os on a standard box, go and inform
yourselves about "Hackintosh", which is not legal and requires a Mac Os install
DVD.
Sorry to sound so negative here, but I understand Apple's reasons for not
making it possible to install Mac Os on any machine. I would, however,
encurrage Apple to produce at least laptops that are in a lower price segment
than the current ones so that people with less money could still buy Apple
machines. I think this could positively affect Apple's position on the global
market, maybe even in third world countries...
Robin>