[macvoiceover] Re: great news on upgrading your iTunes library to iTunes plus

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 09:54:45 -0500

Thanks!
On Jan 29, 2009, at 7:58 AM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Hi Chris
iTunes Plus tracks do not have DRM, and are encoded at 256kbps rather than 128kbps. Apple is moving all iTunes music to the plus format, and is expected to be done with that migration by the end of this quarter. This means these tracks can be played in any audio player that supports the AAC audio format in an MP4 container, as well as allowing just about every audio software to be able to play and otherwise manipulate them. To expand podcast folders in iTunes, highlight the podcast with the VO cursor and press VO+backslash (\). This will also collapse expanded podcasts. This is VO's standard expand/collapse table item keystroke, and can be used in other places where the arrow keys do not behave as expected. Just FYI, the reason the arrow keys aren't behaving as you'd expect in the iTunes podcast list is that left and right are previous and next track, respectively, and these keystrokes remain active even when not playing.
hth

On Jan 29, 2009, at 07:31, Chris Hofstader wrote:

What is the difference between iTunes and the Plus edition?

Also, in iTunes, how does one get the song list of Podcasts to open when an item is closed - it doesn't seem to work as one would expect with arrow keys?

I'm enjoying iTunes primarily because of Podcasts as creating my own radio station with all of my science and left wing political broadcasts available when I want to hear them is just so freaking cool. Other MP3 players, especially those from Creative Labs, do a great job with System Access (and likely other screen readers that I didn't try with them) but nothing does Podcasts like a Nano with VO.

I just got home from about three weeks in India. Sighted friends over there are all getting iPhones or covetting them. A NGO that works training blinks on technology products just bought a half dozen Macintosh systems for their lab but mostly push GNU/Linux systems as a fully loaded Ubuntu system with AT and Office suite installed costs less than $225 when built at the corner PC knock- off shop and, while there, I had to spend $125 for a charger for my MacBook as I had left mine in Florida.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

On Jan 29, 2009, at 5:58 AM, Scott Rutkowski wrote:

Hi all.

Just wanted to let everyone know you can now choose which albums you wish to upgrade to iTunes plus when you visit the upgrade my library page in the iTunes store. The pricing is the same, you just now get to choose what albums you wish to upgrade.

A cool feature thanks a lot apple.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
        --Douglas Adams