[macvoiceover] Re: formatting in pages or text edit

  • From: Ian Edwards <ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mac Voiceover list Mac Voiceover List <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:52:28 -0700

First off, are you using the new Pages released with Mavericks? It behaves
slightly differently that Pages 09. And by slightly I guess I mean radically.

For Pages 09 you can select text and activate the Inspector. There is a hot key
but I can’t remember it and it’s not the same in new Pages. It’s in the view
menu though I think. It’s something like command shift I. Once in the inspector
you can Vo arrow around to the different elements.

For new Pages, maybe we should call it Pages The Next Generation, you select
text and jump to a formatter area with VO J, or you can stop interacting and VO
arrow to it. It works pretty much the same as the inspector. There are
different areas for styles and text etc. Most or your formatting will be done
inthe text tab.

One thing I’ve found by trial and error is that command A to select all toesn’t
let you format an entire document. The formatting just dosen’t take. I’ve found
that I need to go to the bottom and do a command shift up arrow to select to
the top of the document and then use the formatter.

When you’re done formatting you VO J to get back to your document area.

One other thing, I’ve found the VO I item chooser to be my friend in the
formatter, saving a bunch of arrow navigating. If I’m bullet pointing a list
after the fact I’l select it, jump to the formatter and then VO I for the item
chooser then hit bu and jump to the bullets section.

Apparently in the latest update of Pages The Next Generation you can set hot
keys for styles, but I havn’e checked that out yet. Anyone have a go with it
yet?

Ian