[macvoiceover] Re: formatting a passport drive

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 00:16:40 -0500

It's really interesting. Both Carla and I have My Passport 1 terrabyte drives;
wdsmartware comes up on hers but not on mine but maybe it's the way we
formatted them To answer you question, go into disk utility and select that
drive; I think it will show as My Passport. I think you will have to choose the
erase tab and erase it first. Then you can switch to the partition tab and
format it. Carla's is formatted as Mocosx journald (maybe extended but I can't
remember now) so she could run time machine and superduper. Mine is formatted
as msdos and it has text and music files on it and works on my Mac, linux, and
windows machines. You can see the choices in the pop-up once you select
partition.

With the My Book drives, which I think may also be western digital, the other
software partition that mounted caused problems and I had to go online and find
the program to install (from the manufacturer) that prevents it from mounting.
on the My Passport that Carla has, this extra mount doesn't seem to cause any
problems.

Hth.

--

Cheryl