[macvoiceover] Re: embosser drivers

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MaryLee Perkins <ml.perkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:02:24 -0600

You may not be out of luck yet. There are USB to parallel cables that you can try, again from keyspan. There are also parallel to serial and parallel to bluetooth adapters both of which would permit you to use the Mac.

With serial you need not driver. You simply send the braille file, which is nothing more than a ASCII text file to the serial port that the embosser is connected to. Louis will send to any device serial or bluetooth that can be found on the Mac. The Emboss program is used to send file that have already been translated so you don't need to retranslate them. Louis does not use the ethernet port at this time. I have contacted Enabling to see about supporting this function.

You can call me and I can go over all of this with you in better detail 307-224-4022

On Jul 31, 2007, at 07:40 , MaryLee Perkins wrote:

Dear Greg,
I mis-spoke, there is no serial port on this Juliet Pro 60. I have already talked with Enabling Technology, and they said it is Windows only. So, I guess I'm out in the cold as far as using my Mac with this embosser. If I were going to buy an embosser, I would choose another company. We sent in an embosser, a Bookmaker, to have the tractor feed tapes replaced, the tapes were $15 each for 4, but the bill from Enabling Technologies was $900, of which $720 was labor. How does the Keyspan communicate from the Mac to the embosser, it must use some kind of driver, a generic one, perhaps? Is there a way to send a file directly from Louis to an ethernet port, or does it go through the Emboss program?
Thanks for your time,
MLP

On Jul 30, 2007, at 8:31 PM, Greg Kearney wrote:

It is quite an undertaking the CUPS system was intended for image based printers. The simplest thing to do is to use the serial port with a USB to serial device such as those sold by keyspan. You might also want to contact Enabling about a Mac USB or ethernet driver.

I know for sure that your embosser will work via serial however.

Greg
On Jul 30, 2007, at 19:17 , MaryLee Perkins wrote:

It is a new Juliet Pro 60 from Enabling Technologies. I read about a cups driver for a different brand of embosser. Would it be so difficult to write such a driver? People have written Mac camera drivers for Windows web cams, why not for this? This printer has serial, ethernet, usb, and parallel.
Thanks
On Jul 30, 2007, at 5:59 PM, Greg Kearney wrote:

Not that I know of it would require a print driver of some kind. Your embosser should have a serial port or bluetooth that you could use. What is the model and make of the embosser.

Greg
On Jul 30, 2007, at 16:53 , MaryLee Perkins wrote:

If an embosser has ethernet, is there any way to use it from a Mac, going directly to ethernet?
Thanks,
MLP