[macvoiceover] Re: blocking senders in mail?

  • From: "John G. Heim" <jheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 08:27:06 -0600

About 99.9% of spam is from a made up address or a real address of a completely innocent person. There is nothing to keep a spammer from using your own email address to send spam. So trying to bounce spam back to the sender will almost never work. If it goes anywhere, it will go to someone who had nothing to do with the spam. There's even a name for this, "backscatter".

I see that you use gmail so you may not be aware that google is filtering your mail. They are preventing most of the spam from even getting to your mailbox. But there is a spam folder on gmail that you can look at. Most likely, by now, you've received spam that looks like it came from yourself. If you check your spam folder on gmail, you can probably find some such messages.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark BurningHawk Baxter" <markbaxter38@xxxxxxxxx>