[macvoiceover] Re: Warning about buying a new computer if you want to use an older OS

  • From: Robin Kipp <mlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:31:50 +0200

Hi Sheryl,
thanks for your message! I do understand your situation and initial confusion
about your old backup not being bootable on your new machine. However, when
thinking about it, it actually makes sense. When you installed Mac OS 10.6 on
your Mac Mini, it installed all drivers for the Mac models available at that
time. Some software updates may have added new drivers for newer Mac models,
but only up to the point where Mac Os 10.6 was succeeded by Mac OS 10.7. Apple
does continue supporting older versions of Mac OS X, however only in terms of
supplying critical security patches. So, when you purchased your shiny new
MacBook Pro, it was unable to boot from your backup because Mac OS 10.6 simply
didn't have the appropriate drivers for all the hardware. Now, one thing you
could try of course would be to update your Mini to 10.7 (provided it has the
required hardware specs), then back it up and try booting your new system from
that backup, which probably would work. However, as you said you needed to
maintain a working copy of 10.6, this solution may not be appropriate for you.
However, the good news here is that when Mac OS 10.7 came out, Apple
drastically relaxed their software virtualization policy. Thus, you might
consider getting a copy of VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox and try to install a
virtual Mac OS 10.6 system using that, which I think shouldn't be a big
problem. However, I haven't actually done this myself, so don't just take my
word for it! :-) I think for you the best thing really would be to try it out
before considering to get the old Mac Mini fixed...
Hth! :-)
Robin>