[macvoiceover] Re: Voiceover and flash player

  • From: Travis Siegel <tsiegel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:58:19 -0600

Places like utube that have an html5 alternative are much better ways to use your browser in osx. Flash works, but due to it's graphical nature, voiceover cannot see any of the buttons in the players, so no pause, fast forward, rewind, or anything else of the like. However, using html5, voiceover works perfectly, and you can access all the functions of the player. I'll put up a sample of an html5 player later today if you're curious, but utube does have an html5 player that you can use, though at the moment, I don't recall how you activate it by default. The lack of accessible flash content isn't really apple's fault, it's just the nature of flash itself. However, once htlm5 catches on, A lot of these issues will go away, since even without proper design, we'll still be able to see the buttons, even if we don't know what they do, and that's one heck of a lot better than not being able to even tell where the stupid player is on the screen as is now the case with flash.