[macvoiceover] Re: Voiceover Choices

  • From: - <dandunfee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Phil Scovell <phil.scovell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 12:49:13 -0400 (EDT)

I agree completely about tom. I came across him by accident and instantly tossed alex.

Tom's voice lacks all the attempts at making alex "natural" which to me only added distracting frustrating artifacts.

I found the other voices sounded too much like typical computer synthesized renderings which is also an annoying distraction.

I think in part he appeals to me because of his crisp down the middle with little inflection speech which reminds me of the doublletalk speech box I used for years and still do when workingout of dos. Unlike alex and the other voices and their artifacts I become unaware of it.

I too noticed the funky rendering of some words in given contexts. What I found in many cases if one does a vo left/right arrow to go over the individual word it is rendered correctly.

I have all cursors in os10 folllow each other. I also have caps anounced as such. Sometimes when an "i" begins as sentence it will say "capital I" and read on as usual. I'm guessing this is an artifact of my cursors settings. which acts as though one is manually moving the cursor word by word.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, Phil Scovell wrote:

I've always used Alex but a few months ago, after playing around with other
voices, I discovered the voice of Tom was better for me with the aging hearing
loss I've experienced.  Tom's voice is much easier for me to hear and is so
good, our miniature dachshunds come to my office door and bark sometimes
because they think someone is in my office with me and talking.  The
disadvantage is how some words are not pronounced normally in a string of text
by the mac.  I correct the pronunciation as I can but sometimes, based upon
where the punctuation falls in the body of the text, it still is not pronounced
properly.

Phil.

XB

Click on the link below to go to our homepage.
http://www.icanworkthisthing.com

Manage your subscription by using the web interface on the link below.
//www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover

Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx