[macvoiceover] Speaking spanish

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 10:52:35 -0500

These instructions are from Leopard so there may be some changes but should get
you going in the right direction. I posted these a couple of years ago when I
was wanting to have both English and Spanish. But I think the drag-and-drop
procedure may have changed if somebody wants to update that.

Hth.

[macvoiceover] Leopard: Instructions for getting vo and the system to use
another language

   These instructions were provided by Anne Robertson in a couple of emails
   and I'm pasting the combined content here. I didn't know how to
   drag-and-drop yet, so I just unchecked all the other languages; if you
   have any trouble with drag-and-drop, this can also be done. I also
   changed my system voice for the Spanish user but that might or might
   not be necessary depending on what you are doing.

Anne's Instructions:

   To get VO to work in another language as well as English, you need to
   create a user in that language. You create a second user, log in as
   that user, change the language and, if you like, Input method
   (keyboard), and set the default voice to be one in the language you
   require, then Restart your computer and the new user will be in the new
   language.
After this, you can log in as either user.

   I always have VisioVoice running with its first voice set to French so
   that I can read any message or document in French without switching
   users, but I switch to my French user to browse the Net in French.

   To select your language in System Preferences, go to the International
   pane, select the Language tab, interact with the Languages Table, go to
   the language you wish to use, use Drag and Drop to move it to the top
   of the list. Drag and Drop: make sure that the VO cursor and the mouse
   are on the item you wish to move, press VO-Command-Shift-Space bar to
   pick up and hold the mouse, turn tracking off, move VO cursor to the
   place you wish to put the item, move mouse to VO cursor, turn tracking
   on again, press VO-Command-Shift-Space bar to release the mouse. Select
   the third tab if you want to change the keyboard layout. Interact with
   the table and use Shift-click to select the keyboard layout(s) you
   want. Check the Show Input Menu in Menu Bar checkbox. In this way, you
   can verify the existing keyboard layout and change it when you want to.
   When you change the keyboard layout from the Status Menu, it takes
   effect immediately.