[macvoiceover] Re: Safari 3

  • From: "Ron J." <Ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 21:39:54 -0500

Hi all!

I now have Safari 3 on my system as well. Downloaded it last night, after my roommate & I listened to the Keynote address.

Yes, I must say this new Safari is different - less "busy" than the previous version, and something else -- VO now announces the titles of frames, and identifies where headings are! IT doesn't, however, distinguish between a "level-1" heading, or a "level-6" heading, & you have to interract with the heading (VO only identifies them as "Heading") to see what it is, but nonetheless, this is something quite different from past versions!

Another thing you'll notice is that these behaviors seem to apply to all HTML rendered on your Mac. I noticed headings were identified in Shiira, and when you interract with the HTML content in Skype, the frame it encounters is identified as "Chat Frame". All this might be one, of several reasons, why the computer has to restart to complete the installation of the Safari 3 Beta.

One other thing I might have noticed was, when I found the search box on Wikipedia, VO identified it as a search edit box, and when I looked to see if it had a Help Tag, it did. Was that something new, does anyone know, or has that always been the case?

Only one problem I've encountered, so far. A particular website I frequent, is laid out in four frames. If I turn "Group items on Web Page" off, and I interract with the second frame of the site, VO seems to have trouble (I think?) but it seems to behave, just fine, if that option is turned on. Lately, I've been using the grouping option, almost exclusively, and it does seem to improve the browsing experience, for the most-part.

Anyone else noticed any other new VO-related stuff with the new Safari which I haven't discovered yet? If so, please do tell!

Ron

On Jun 12, 2007, at 11:26 AM, Keith Reedy wrote:

Hi folks,

I now have Safari 3 on my computer. I think you will find it different, but better. It is much snappier than it was. I have Shiira and Sunrise on this computer which were both faster than Safari, but that is no longer the case.

Give it a try.

Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to macvoiceover- request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover

Ron J. | AKA Ganahee

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals. Then something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we learned to talk."

From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".