[macvoiceover] Requesting update on ocr, Lopard and voiceover

  • From: chomiak7737@xxxxxxx
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:58:45 -0500 (CDT)

Hi all.

I recently bit the bullet and bought a cell phone and accessibility
software. This cell phone access almost eliminates the need for a windows
installation on a computer. My one remaining real problem is ocr
accessibility. I
currently am using my canoscan lide 60 with System Access but had been
considering buying Abby Finereader Pro. I mention this only so people with
a Windows background will have some comparison to know what I need in
scanning. I need to be able to accurately scan mail and to scan books to
text. I do have the driver for the canoscan loaded in leopard and my
scanner does make startup noises but the last I heard the toolbox didn't
work well with leopard. This really doesn't matter as I never had great
success with the toolbox anyway. Is readiris pro the primary candidate out
there on the Mac for blind users or are there other choices out there that
really provide acceptable accuracy? If possible, I'd like to hear from
users of the canoscan lide60 as to what software you are using, how
accessible it is, and whether it truly will handle book page scanning. I
do take my books apart for scanning and I do need accuracy without having
to go through each page trying to decipher and correct the results. I'm
trying to avoid paying out a bunch of money for something and then finding
it inadequate.

Tia.

--

Cheryl