[macvoiceover] Re: Refreshabraille and the Mac

  • From: Travis Siegel <tsiegel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:34:19 -0600

I too have a braille light (18) and a braille navigator 80, neither one of which works on osx, because they're serial interface. <sigh> But, from what I understand from others who use the braille fairly regularly, the braille interface is completely separate from the speech one, and actually works pretty well. I personally would love to get a working braille display, as it would eliminate loads of lost time interpreting what vo is saying, which actually isn't on the screen, the braille would show me right away what is actually there, instead of what apple thinks I want to hear. Alass, a braille display that would work on osx is way beyond me at the moment, and is likely to remain so for quite some time. But, in any case, based on discussions I've seen on another list, the braille is quite useful, and is not slaved just to what the speech outputs, which is what I would have expected, but has it's own interface, and separate display buffer as it were. I'm told that navigating with the display works well too, so there's no need to use the vo keys if you're reading long pieces of text and the like, something that will save lots of time I think.