[macvoiceover] Re: Programming Editor

  • From: Travis Siegel <tsiegel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:56:15 -0500

On Mar 25, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Rejean Proulx wrote:

I am looking to do some programming on a Mac. Is there an editor that says line numbers and column indentation?
Other than python, indentation is not usually manditory in programming circles. As far as line numbers go, pico (apple calls it nano, but pico still works to envoke it) in the terminal can show you the line number at any time, by pressing ctrl-c at any time. You also get character position, and line count, so there's little need for actual line numbering directly. As far as gui-type programs go though, I've not found one that concerns itself with such mondane things as line number or character position on the mac, so you may be out of luck on that one. There are editors that will let you go to a particular line, but they don't actually tell you what line you're on, so that's only minimally useful. In general though, specific line numbers aren't really necessary, unless you're debugging, but most times, the ide you use for your programming language will take you to the error w/o you needing to know the line number directly. I use terminal for nearly everything though, so it's possible there's some gui programs I've missed that do have these capabilities, and if so, I'm sure oomeone will pop up with an answer, but for me, I just use pico, and ask for line info when I need it, which interestingly enough isn't as often as you might think.