[macvoiceover] Re: Office 2008

  • From: Laura <laura.mcg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 03:30:15 +0000

I tend to agree. Not really because I know anything about Coco, but because
when they updated Office, Voiceover was already a fixture. I don't think I can
be convinced that Microsoft didn't know about it when they updated, so either
they knew it was inaccessible and didn't fix it, or they thought so little
about it that they didn't even bother to check whether it was or not. Either
way, there's culpability there, and their silence about the issue also speaks
volumes, at least to me. If I'm wrong, I'd love to be corrected, but I've never
seen any explanation for it, or any reliable information that they're aware its
a problem and are working to fix it, even if the fix won't come until the next
release of the software.

I am still a little bit hopeful they'll add accessibility, though. There are
more blind users switching to the Mac, even if the increase is slow, and unless
Apple suddenly changes course, it seems to me that Voiceover will keep getting
better. If that's correct, I'm not really sure that MS would continue to make a
product that just doesn't work for us. I'd also like to think that, even if
they don't embrace the Mac as a platform, at least a few of the organisations
working on the half of blind people would start making some noise about it.
They don't have to be a fan of the Mac platform to know that those of us who
are should be allowed to use it without unnecessary barriers.