[macvoiceover] Re: Mac Mini Questions

  • From: "Cheryl Homiak" <chomiak7737@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:44:21 -0500

Hi.

I actually have three mac minis at the moment: two ppc ones (one of them is actually my daughter's) and an intel core duo.

1. As far as switching, I used linux befor Macosx and now have added Windows to my repertoire as well. I think the reason the mini is advertised for switchers is that you can share your keyboard and monitor and thus the mini doesn't automatically come with these. But it works fine whether you are a switcher or not.

2. My intel is a 1.83ghz with 1gb raqm because that's what i could afford; if you can afford higher, of course that's great but mine functions fine. Definitely you want at least 1gb memory. Also, I don't think they offer it with as big a hard drive as you now have. 3. the mac mini is fine for a vo user, but then I don't think any Mac running vo is a bad choice for a vo user.

4. I'm running windows xp with windoweyes and also System Access. I'm using vmware fusion rather than bootcamp which means the system is right alongside my Macosx and I don't have to reboot to use it. Just remember that vmware fusion only allows a 20gb windows installation, so if you need more space you might want to use bootcamp. One thing I like about using vmware fusion is that I can install without sighted help (something you can't easily do with Windows on a pc) and I can easily just delete the virtual machine if I need to reinstall. The Windows installation works fine; I have had some issues and reinstalled once but I don't know the cause; I don't think it had to do with the mini.

5. If you go to the Apple store online, you can choose your options and be shown the cost; you can make different choices and see the results.

There are two things that make me think you might want to have an imac instead of a mini. First, I don't think you can get as big a hard drive with the mini. Second, flat pannel displays are avery expensive and with an iMac you don't have to buy a display. I think your $1500 will be ample for a high-end mac mini but adding the display could strain that significantly. But on the other hand, an higher-end imac will also cost you more than your $1500. I'd go and play around with the cost of different configurations at the Apple store website.

Bluetooth is standard with a mac mini though of course you'll have to purchase keyboard and mouse separately whether bluetooth or wired. The mouse eats batteries so I don't use it' the keyboard batteries last several months.

Hth.

--

Cheryl

"Where your treasure is,