[macvoiceover] Re: How to make bootable Lion cd with VO?

  • From: Cheryl Ann Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 01:07:52 -0500 (CDT)

I just burned a dvd and did an install with it onto one of my external drives so I'll try to give a more detailed account than some would need.

You don't have to drag anything. there's a dmg file inside the package contents of the installer application you download that you can move to your desktop and then go into disk utility and burn it. I couldn't figure out how to do it right in Finder but I'll give you the Terminal path and you can maybe figure out how to do it in finder if you'd rather do that. I tried file > show package contents in finder but for some reason that didn't work for me. I think what you do is supposed to be the equivalent of a right click on the application. Remember that if you want to burn to dvd you either need to do it before you install or you need to copy it from /applications elsewhere because the installer package disappears after the intall though it's my understanding it can also be found on a hidden recovery partition.

In terminal:

cp command to copy the installer dmg to your desktop or wherever you want it. Here's my example (your path to the application may be different and this is all one line though it may be broken up in the email):

cp /Applications/Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg /Users/myself/Desktop
Then hit enter.
Using tab completion will help you do this as it will put backslashes in at the spaces and carry through the whole line. Next open Utilities > Disk Utility in finder. Do vokeys-space on the burn button in the toolbar. Find your dmg file and do vokeys-space on burn. At this point you will need to insert your blank dvd if you haven't done so. Then in the next window choose any burning options you need and do vokeys-space on burn. Depending on wht you've selected, the disk will either eject or be mounted on the desktop when it is done and you'll also have a message saying it's done where you press an ok button if I remember correctly. I did a couple that failed to verify so I slowed down the burn speed.

The resulting volume from your burn will be Mac OS X Install ESD. Open this and find the installer aplication itself: Install Mac OS X Lion. Open this. From there you follow the instructions. You do need to be connected to the Internet as additional components will be downloaded. After the download you will be instructed to restart your computer to install lion. After the computer restarted, I had to turn voiceover on again in order to hear what was happening with the install; the voice was Fred and I had to use ctrl-option-cmd right arrow to get to the volume and cmd-option-ctrl-uparrow to raise the volume. When the install is done you will see a restart button but the computer will restart automatically anyway. I'm not sure if I had to restart speech when lion came up or not. I did have one immediate software update of runtime java because I have mlb's autobahn.jar on my computer. If you neex Xcode you will have to get the new version from the app store for free and install using the install application that will be put in your /Applications folder. I haven't tried to burn that but it's probably possible.

Hth.

--
Cheryl

"Let the words of my mouth,