[macvoiceover] Re: How is VO getting on with Google Mail?

  • From: Travis Siegel <windowbridge@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 13:00:39 -0500

Just a clarification.
Pop downloads the messages to your computer, and you can (generally) tell your pop client to either delete or leave messages on the server. Generally, I use pop when I want to make sure my disk quota on the server isn't reached, as I can download the messages, and keep them on my own machine.

Imap on the other hand works entirely on the server.
If you use imap as your mail protocol, none of the messages make it to your computer, they are always on the server, and will remain so no matter how many times you read them in the imap client.
The only way to remove them from the server is to delete them.
The problem with this approach (if you consider it a problem) is that all of your messages remain on the server, and eat disk space, so if you have a quota, every single message remaining on the imap server contributes to the disk space used. That's why generally, I use pop for my regular accounts, and only use imap if I need to view messages when I'm not at home, or when I'd like to be able to see the mailbox from multiple machines.
Hope this helps.

On Jul 23, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Sara wrote:

Oh, Adium or whatever it's called, yeah, gotta download that one. I hear it works with msn too. Thanks muchly! I use imap so that it stores all my messages on the google server and on the computer where I happen to be. Pop doesn't do as much as imap.
Sara
----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Reedy" <WA9DRO@xxxxxxxxx>