[macvoiceover] Fwd: SATS on October 24: See and use Apple technologies -- accessible phones, computers, iPods

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 18:08:40 -0400

Anyone who is in the area is welcome to my first and perhaps only apple
accessible round up.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Talking Books Request" <tbrq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: October 16, 2009 3:45:17 PM EDT
Subject: SATS on October 24: See and use Apple technologies -- accessible
phones, computers, iPods

Whether you already use Apple products or not, this session will give you
something NEW!

The next Saturday Adaptive Technology Session, October 24, from 1-3 p.m. will
be about Apple products -- computers, phones, and PDAs.  You will hear from
David Poehlman, who uses Mac computers (as well as Windows) and can demonstrate
Voiceover (the Mac screen reader) and the Snow Leopard operating system.  Also
take a look at the iPhone and the iPod Touch which have touchscreens that talk.
 All of these devices can be used by people who have print disabilities.  Join
Kamran and David to learn and discuss.  As always, snacks (applecake, cider)
are provided.

Here's a brief survey to help us plan this session -- just write your answers
and reply to this email.

1. Are you most interested in technologies for work, pleasure,
business, or daily living?

2. What products are you most interested in:
a) Ipod nano 4g that talks
b) Iphone that talks
c) ipod touch that talks
d) Apple Computer with multi touch track pad that talks
e) Macintosh snow leopard operating system in general...

3. Do you use or own an Apple product? What product?

No registration is necessary.  The location is the Rockville Library, 21
Maryland Ave. in the Rockville Town Center, first floor meeting room.  Here are
directions to the Rockville Library in the following order: by bus; by Metro,
by car from various directions, orienting from drop off on Maryland and Beall,
and free parking at the Rockville Library.

By Bus

Take Ride On Bus #55 in the direction of  the Germantown Transit Center from
the Rockville Metro Station to the stop at E. Middle Lane and Maryland Avenue.

By Metro (Red Line)

Metro to Rockville stop.  Cross Route 355 at East Middle Lane, or you may take
the Pedestrian bridge at the  Metro stop. (If  you take the Pedestrian
Overpass, turn right on Monroe Street and continue to East Middle Lane.)
Continue on East Middle Lane to Maryland Avenue.  Turn right onto Maryland
Avenue.  The library is on the plaza on your left at 21 Maryland Avenue.

By Car From:

North (Gaithersburg Area) Go South on Route 355 to East Middle Lane. Turn right
on Middle Lane and right on Maryland Ave. The garage entrance will be on your
right. The library will be on the left.

Alternative: South on I-270 to Falls Road exit (#5 to Rockville Town Center.)
Follow Maryland Avenue arrows. Go straight through the first traffic light
after you cross back over I-270. You will be on Maryland Ave. Continue on
Maryland Ave. past East Middle Lane. The garage entrance will be on your right.
The library will be on your left.

South (Bethesda Area) Go North on Route 355 to East Middle Lane. Left on Middle
Lane and right onto Maryland Ave. The garage entrance will be on your right.
The library will be on your left.

Alternative: North on I-270 to Falls Road exit (#5 to Rockville Town Center.)
Follow Maryland Avenue arrows. Go straight through the first traffic light
after you leave I-270. You will be on Maryland Ave. Continue on Maryland Ave.
past East Middle Lane. The garage entrance will be on your right. The library
will be on your left.

West (Potomac Area) Take Falls Road toward Rockville. Go straight through the
first traffic light after you cross I-270. You will be on Maryland Ave.
Continue on Maryland Ave. past East Middle Lane. The garage will be on your
right. The library will be on your left.

West (Virginia) Take the Beltway I-495 across the American Legion Bridge at
Cabin John to Route I-270. Go north on I-270 to the Falls Road exit (#5 to
Rockville Town Center.) Go straight through the first traffic light after you
leave I-270. You will be on Maryland Ave. Continue on Maryland Ave. past East
Middle Lane. The garage entrance will be on your right. The library will be on
your left.

East (Wheaton Area) Go West on Randolph Road to Veirs Mill. Turn right on Veirs
Mill. When Veirs Mill crosses Rockville Pike(355), take Rockville Pike to East
Middle Lane. Left on East Middle Lane and right on Maryland Avenue. The garage
entrance will be on your right. The library will be on your left.

East (Prince George's County)  Take the beltway I-495 west toward I-270. Take
I-270 to the Falls Road exit (#5 to the Rockville Town Center.) Go straight
through the first traffic light after your leave I-270. You will be on Maryland
Ave. Continue on Maryland Ave. past East Middle Lane. The garage entrance will
be on your right. The library will be on your left.

Orienting from drop off and pick up:  On Maryland Ave., drop off is at a
pull-off beside the Plaza across from Austin Grill.  The Library entrance is
under a canopy about 50’ from the street.  The easiest path is to go toward the
Thai Pavillion Restaurant and follow along the wall to the library entrance on
the right.  There is an automatic door opener on the left side of the glass
doors (away from Maryland Ave.).  The lobby is about 40’ long (restrooms and
elevator on the left, the first floor meeting room is on the right).  Another
set of glass doors (automatic opener on the wall to the left) open to the
library.  The Return/Circulation Desk is straight ahead.  The Information desk
is to the right of the staircase.  The Computer Lab is on the second floor.
There is also a library entrance on Beall Ave. about 10 feet from the curb.
After the first set of doors there are 3 steps going down to doors into the
library.

Parking at the Rockville Library

Library patrons park for free at any of the three Town Square Garage locations
by following directions at the pay stations in the garages:

--215 North Washington Street Garage

--355 Garage at the corner of Beall St.

--30 Maryland Avenue Garage

Parking for Individuals with Disabilities in Rockville Town Center:

On-street spaces for disabled parking are available throughout Town Center.
These locations include northbound Maryland Avenue at the intersection with
East Montgomery Avenue, south-bound Maryland Avenue next to the Rockville
Library in Town Square, eastbound Courthouse Square and southbound Monroe
Street, south of East Montgomery Avenue. There is no charge for disabled
parking in designated spaces in surface lots, garages or on-street locations.
Per City ordinance, vehicles displaying valid disability tags or placards may
also park at any metered space for free.

Using the garage pay stations for free Library Parking:

1. Enter your stall (space) number at the pay stations in the garage

2. Choose “Purchase Ticket”

3. Select “Library 15 min Free”

4. Take the receipt with you to the library, and at the Library pay station
follow the directions.  Keep your receipts.

Metered on-street parking is available throughout Town Center. The rate is 25
cents per 15 minutes. Meters accept quarters and prepaid parking cards, which
may be purchased at the Cashier’s office on the third floor of Rockville City
Hall at 111 Maryland Avenue.

Francie Gilman

Rockville staff

Montgomery County Public Libraries