[macvoiceover] Downloading NLS BARD site books: what happens to the zip file?

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:57:16 -0600

Hi all.

When I download a book from the NLS bard site, the file being downloaded shows
up as a zip file. Of course I expect the zip file to be opened since I have the
box checked in safari prefs to open safe files, which does include zip
archives. All of this works as expected. But what happens to the actual zip
file? I don't see it anywhere but I didn't think that the zip file would be
deleted when it was opened.

Btw, for those downloading books on the Mac, since the zip file does
automatically open up to a folder, it's very easy to set your safari prefs to
send the book folder right to the designated place on your cartridge or thumb
drive or card reader or book reader hooked up to the computer--saves having to
do copying and pasting. You'll have to change the pop-up from the default of
"downloads" to "other" and then you'll have to change the pop-up in the browse
dialog to the name of your machine and find the appropriate folder in the file
table but that isn't hard or time-consuming once you have done it a few times.
Just remember to change it back when you are not downloading books because that
download designation won't exist any more once you unplug your book reader or
card reader or whatever device you are using.

--

Cheryl
"Let the words of my mouth,