[macvoiceover] Re: CD and DVD burning software

  • From: VaShaun Jones <vjones@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:12:14 -0400

I did it with music tracks and it told me that this CD will play in both Mac and Windows computers. Thanks for the tip, now on to Terminal and Apple Scripts.

On Oct 24, 2007, at 11:42 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:

No, the directory (or folder as apple calls them) does not disappear. It's still there in case you want to make another copy of it. Personally, though I've not tried it, I'd think you could use a smart folder as your burn folder, give it specs as to what you want in it, and then it will go get all your files for you automatically every time you want to burn something. Again, I've not tried this, but if that doesn't work, sim-linking in files certainly does. And, if all of this makes no sense, don't worry about it, just stick to copying them in and removing the folder manually when you're done with it, if you want to reclaim the disk space.

Also, though I've not used the apple burn process for quite a while now, I think there is an option to say whether it's a data or music disk, but I could be mistaken on that. Like I said, I never liked the having to rename thing, ergo the softcon products to solve the problem.

On Oct 24, 2007, at 12:44 PM, VaShaun Jones wrote:

Yeah that is nice, my question is does it disappear once it is burned? Does it do all types of files or just data?
On Oct 24, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:

When you tell finder to make a new burn folder, it will make one for you, and you simply copy any files you want burned into that directory. Then, when you're done adding all your files, just tell the os to burn the disc, and it will do so.
Nice to have the capability built-in to the os like that.

On Oct 24, 2007, at 1:45 AM, VaShaun Jones wrote:

OH, if the order doesn't matter can I use the Finder's burn option to burn music? Will it just burn what I tell it?
On Oct 24, 2007, at 2:35 AM, Travis Siegel wrote:

Two things you can do here.
First, apple has cd/dvd burning capabilities built-in to the os.
Simply place your files into a burn folder, then using finder, tell it you want to burn the cd. You'll want to make a master image before burning a dvd though, as they're a bit different in layout. Now, there's several problems with this approach, the most notable of which is that apple automatically alphabetically sorts your files, and so if you wanted them in a particular order, you'll need to rename all of the files to make them fit properly and play in the correct order.
Rather a bad thing in my opinion.
Second option is to use some commercial program like toast or others that have been mentioned from time to time that can do all of this and more. And the third option (which is what I use) is you can go to homepage.mac.com/windowbridge, (softcon.com/mac is supposed to redirect, but I no longer have control over the server, so can't guarantee this will work) and download the softcon audio burn program, it allows you to add songs in any order you like, without regard to what the filenames are. It will convert on the fly any file types apple plays w/o a plug in, and it's all accessible. There's a softcon data burn there too which can do data discs if you're so inclined, allowing several different file system types and such, but it's likely overkill for what you want, and it won't (yet) handle dvd master images, so you may need to stick to apple for that part of things.
Anyway, hope this helps.

On Oct 16, 2007, at 11:41 AM, VaShaun Jones wrote:

Listers I am looking for a piece of software independent of I Tunes that can burn CD's and DVD's. I would be willing to have two separate pieces of software, but one that does it all is fine. Thanks in advance.

Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover