[macvoiceover] Re: Backup

  • From: VaShaun Jones <vjones@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 08:41:11 -0400

It does, however if I have 40 GB of unused space on a harddrive that I want to cloan and I cloan it to a external drive what happens to that left over unused space on the cloaned drive? Also If I cloan a drive with Tiger on it, can I use it to boot Tiger if Leopard doesn't work and still have Leopard installed on my machine?

On Oct 27, 2007, at 9:03 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:

You're not getting mixed info.
You're probably just getting mixed up between backing up and cloning.
If you wish to backup, you need only have a drive big enough to hold the data you want to backup. If however, you wish to clone a drive, then you'll need one that's at least the same size (though bigger does work) because the information is copied exactly from one drive to the other, including boot sectors and the like. If your target disk is not larg enough, then a complete clone cannot be done, and the process will not take place.
Does that answer your question?

On Oct 27, 2007, at 9:30 AM, VaShaun Jones wrote:

I am getting mixed information regarding backup and cloaning. My question is if I want to backup or cloan do I need a external drive equal to my harddrive capicity or just the used space. For example I have a 120 GB internal drive but I am only using 22 GB, can I just get a 50 GB drive to perform these task?

Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover