[macvoiceover] An announcement regarding a new website for blind Mac and iDevice users

  • From: John Panarese <jpanarese@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 19:27:46 -0400

Hi Folks,

     My apologies to anyone who doesn't like these kinds of "announcement"
messages and who might have already seen this.  I usually avoid making them,
but in this case, I think the topic certainly fits the subject of these lists.
I have started a new website that is meant to be a resource place for blind
users of both the Mac and iDevices, and I wanted to invite the community to
both visit it and to definitely feel free to contribute to it.

     Now, I'll first preface this by saying that I know there are more than a
few sites out there that  are about the Mac or iDevices in regard to their use
by blind individuals.  In fact, I have used more than a few to help me over the
years in my efforts to learn how to utilize all of my Apple products.  They are
all done quite well, and I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the
folks who maintain them.  Understand that I am not intending on competing or
outdoing any single one of them, and, instead, want mine to be an additional
resource out there for the new, experienced or potential user.  We are seeing a
growing number of iPhone and iDevice users that is leading to adoption of the
Mac, and with all the frequent questions that are consistently posed on the
email lists, I wanted to gather material and information to address these areas
in one place where people can benefit from the efforts of the community.

      You will see that it is done in a blog style.  This is for two reasons.
Firstly, I want it to be a very community driven site in which the users
contribute their own information and material, and, subsequently,  become a
part of it by posting their comments and helping it grow.  Also, from the
perspective of a guy who is not, by trade, a web designer, the Word Press setup
is easy to maintain and update without having to bother my webmaster every
other day.

      I can't emphasize enough the importance of having you guys choose to help
out.  I have collected quite a bit of material for reading and even downloading
over the years, which has also kindly  been contributed with permission by
various folks already.  Please take a long look at the site and provide us with
feedback.  Yes, you will see that there are areas that are quite lacking, but
this is where the community will come into play.  I have put in place the
foundation and structure of the site, but my goal is to have you guys provide
the building blocks and material that will construct it into something more and
more each passing day.

     So not to clutter your inbox any more, you will read in my opening few
posts on the blog as to what it is we are looking for and how to contribute to
our effort.  Please feel free to look it all over and provide us with feedback.
 Let us know what we are missing, what we could do better and, most
importantly, please contribute with additional information and even your
questions.  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated, and we hope that you
guys will assist us in making it a comprehensive and diverse place for the
blind Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod user.

      You can visit us here,

http://www.macfortheblind.com

John D. Panarese
Managing Director
Technologies for the Visually Impaired, Inc.
9 Nolan Court
Hauppauge, NY 11788
Tel/Fax, (631) 724-4479
Email, tvii@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Internet, http://www.tvi-web.com

AUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTORS FOR PORTSET SYSTEMS LTD, COMPSOLUTIONS VA, PREMIER
ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGIES, INDEX, PAPENMEIER, REPRO-TRONICS, DUXBURY, SEROTEK AND
OTHER PRODUCTS FOR THE BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED

MAC VOICEOVER TRAINING AND SUPPORT