[mac4theblind] Re: Tip for playing ogg files in iTunes

  • From: David Hilbert Poehlman <poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 20:47:20 -0500

gee, Now all I need is some ogg fines, I lost all of mine.

On Nov 25, 2012, at 3:41 PM, Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When we got to Lion, or maybe somewhere in Snow Leopard, I lost ability to play
ogg files in iTunes. I had been using the xiphqt component to do this. It
didn't matter too much since I can play ogg files in vlc but it bothered me to
have lost that ability. For anybody else who wants to do this, I just figured
it out. you download the latest xiphqt from xiph.org and copy it either into
~/Library/Components or /Library/components, creating the directory if
necessary. There is a possibility that this will also work if you copy the
component into /Library/QuickTime as was suggested on one forum but it isn't
necessary to do that and it isn't what the readme for the component says to do.
Now this is what I always did and what no longer works. However, if you go to
iTunes in /Applications and do cmd-i for info, you can check the box to open in
32-bit mode. If you do this, ogg vorbis files will play in iTunes. I don't know
whether or not there is a down-side to doing this but thought that somebody
might be interested in this.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth