[mac4theblind] Hack Brings Wireless Video Mirroring to iPad 2

  • From: Sarah Alawami <marrie12@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mack for the blind list <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:50:53 -0700

Hack Brings Wireless Video Mirroring to iPad 2

The iPad 2′s new HD mirroring ability is one of the device’s real killer
features, in my opinion, but one user found that it can be made even more
useful by removing the requirement of a tethered cable connection. A MacRumors
forum-user figured out a way to mirror the iPad’s screen wirelessly to an HDTV.

The mod definitely requires some technical know-how and a bit of elbow grease,
but it doesn’t require the iPad to be jailbroken or cracked open. The
forum-user, who uses the handle EGOvoruhk, created the wireless mirroring setup
at a client’s request, using Apple’s Digital AV Adapter, a USB battery and an
HP Wireless TV Connect device, all packed in to a case that just about double’s
the iPad 2′s weight. It may sound complicated, but it’s actually simple enough
that I can see third-party accessory makers or Apple trying to recreate a
production version of the same thing.

Judging by the demo (which you can check out for yourself in the video below),
there’s no noticeable lag between input on the iPad and screen response on the
external monitor, and video seems to play back very smoothly. In short, it
looks like the ultimate way to use your iPad as both remote control and home
entertainment center, not only for movies, but also for gaming, presentations
and apps, too. It’s perfect for iPad cord cutting, especially since it actually
allows you to literally ditch the cord.

All told, EGOvoruhk spent about $275 on the whole build, which is not very much
considering the components were purchased at Fry’s, a major electronics retail
chain in the U.S. That’s good news for consumers, since a dedicated product
from a third-party producer or Apple itself should cost less. Honestly, though,
I’d be willing to pay quite a bit to get that kind of functionality out of my
iPad 2. Maybe we’ll get lucky and Apple will just introduce it as an update to
AirPlay’s abilities, making it free.

Anyone brave enough to try this as a DIY build?

http://bit.ly/g2RR98