[mac4theblind] Re: Guide to installing and configuring Bootcamp without sighted assistance

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 00:35:21 -0600

Well, I know this is kind of a strange time to be posting this, but today I was
kind of at loose ends so I decided to give myself the Christmas present of
Windows in bootcamp! I did it without any sighted help, thanks to Chris H.'s
guide; i had a few perplexed moments but it got done successfully. I've already
decided it was worth it because (1) my Windows is more responsive in its own
partition though I didn't think it was too bad in vmware; and (2) I don't have
strange usb problems i.e.: I can connect my Victor Reader Stream and I'm not
getting any inconsistent behavior when plugging in or removing other usb
devices.

Here are some notes about my experience; I hope this won't be too long as I'm
leaving Chris's guide at the end for those who might not have seen it.

Notes:

Step 2. Make sure you wait for your dvd to spin before you move past this step.
I didn't which resulted in no install and I had to do it over again. But don't
panic if you have to do it over; as long as you haven't wiped out your Mac
partition, there's no harm done. The instructions specify to wait for the dvd
to spin up and go down but I must have gotten a little trigger happy!

step 5: I never did find a number beside my partition in disk utility but
fortunately arrowing down four times was right.

14. For some reason I had trouble getting back to my Mac partition but after
several tries, including unceremoniously holding the power button in to shut
down, I did get back to the Mac partition. Not sure why I had so much trouble;
I did eject the Windows dvd because it's revving up was distracting me while I
was trying to boot back into Mac.

18. Arrowing down once actually got me to the word "bootcamp" and I had to
figure out which unlabeled button to do vo-space on.

20-21. Things got really hazy here. I didn't see more windows setup to do per
se but the attempts I made to bring up Narrator weren't working and I hadn't
heard the Windows startup sound. After a couple of tries at installing vmware
tools which I thought weren't working, they did install as I could see by the
menu item changing to "reinstall vmware tools" and I got the startup sound.
Then I was able to start Narrator.
23. I had the bootcamp support software on a dvd and so I used the dvd drive
built into my Macbook Pro. But you may want to make sure in your virtual
Machine menu that the drive is connected; the instructions did mention
connecting whatever drive you use so I checked this before putting in the dvd.
Also, don't be quick to shutdown your vm. I shut down but noticed that the
shutdown menu item mentioned installing updates and sure enough they were 94 of
them with a warning not to power down. The startup button came up again when
all was done and then I shut the vm down and booted into my bootcamp partition.

Also don't automatically think you've failed if you reboot. I booted into
Windows and I heard disk activity and then the computer rebooted and I thought
this wasn't going to work. But it booted up fine after that and that's when I
got a few setup questions; I recall the network type being one of them i.e.: a
password for hour home group and the choice of whether this is a public, work
or home network.

'All in all it went well but there are a few places where I was about to give
up and still can't fully explain how I got past those steps successfully. But
it definitely is possible for a person to do this install without sighted help.
 Thanks again to Chris! If I had needed to wait for sighted help I might never
have actually decided to do it after all.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart