[m14] Word of the Ward - Feb 2003

  • From: "RONALD L GRAMES" <rgrames@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "M14" <m14@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 14:50:33 -0700

Word of the Ward
Meridian 14th Ward                                  February 2003
Love is like the Polar Star. In a changing world, it is a constant. It is of
the very essence of the gospel. It is the security of the home. It is the
safeguard of community life. It is a beacon of hope in a world of distress.

        Thomas S. Monson

Bishopric Message
In January at Ward Conference our Stake President asked us to study about
â??Charity the pure love of Christ.â?? How often I have heard this phrase
throughout my life in the Church. I have spent time reflecting upon those words
again. And once again I recall the words of Paul to the Corinthians:

â??Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not
charityâ?¢, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And though I
have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and
though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not
charity, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and
though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me
nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth
not itself, is not puffed up, 5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not
her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity,
but rejoiceth in the truth; 7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth
all things, endureth all things.â??
How can it be written more explicitly? What words can help in a better
understanding than these? Only one personâ??s life reflects all of these words,
our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Let us do what President Hanson has asked, and in so doing create more love and
happiness in our homes and in our ward.
Brother Lewis
High Priests
In the address offered by President Faust in this months issue of the Ensign,
he focuses on cleansing the Inner Self.  One of the elements of his discussion
is the issue of priorities â?? how we choose to spend our time.  Frequently, I
find that my list of  things to done is longer than my day and Iâ??m tempted to
blame the circumstances for squeezing out those item that carry eternal weight.
 However, the truth is that unless I consciously give time and space for that
which lasts forever, my life can quickly become cluttered with trivial
â??goodâ?? pursuits but void of the best.  Priority recognizes that we must
give up some of what life has to offer in order to have its best.  Our agency
gives us the freedom to make that choice.  May we heed President Faustâ??s
advice and choose well.
Joel Dixon

Elders
As many of you are aware, the Elders Quorum was recently reorganized. Following
are short biographies of the new presidency:

Jared Hill
I was born in St. Anthony, Idaho.  I am the third of six children.  I was
raised in the gospel.  At the age of 14 my family moved to Laurel, Montana
where I finished high school.  My family moved back to St. Anthony where most
of them still live.  I served a mission in the Chile, Antofagasta Mission.  My
wife, Kimberly, and I met before my mission and were married in the Idaho Falls
temple four months after my return.  We immediately moved to Phoenix, Arizona
where I attended DeVry Institute of Technology.  After four and a half years of
the Arizona desert we decided to move closer to home and made Boise our
residence in the fall of 2000.  We have two little girls, Grace (3), and Hailey
(2).  We are expecting our first boy in March.  We are very excited to be in
this ward and have felt very welcome here.  We look forward to serving with
each of you here in the 14th Ward.

Jason Andrus
I was born and raised in Utah.  I was born in West Valley City, but later moved
to Riverton where my parents still live.  I served a full time mission in the
Italy, Padova mission.  I met my wife Suzanne in Cedar City, Utah where we were
both going to school at Southern Utah University.  We were married that fall in
the Manti Temple.
We then moved to Salt Lake City where I finished my schooling at the University
of Utah with a degree in Electrical Engineering.  While in Salt Lake, our
daughter Siena was born.  She is now 2-1/2 years old.  We moved to Boise in May
of last year after I was offered a position at Micron in the probe engineering
department.  We are very excited to be here in Boise and are very grateful for
the warm welcome that we have received from everybody here.  We have already
gained a strong love for the people of the Meridian 14th ward and are looking
forward to getting to know each member of the ward better.

Stephan Gardner
I was raised in Blackfoot, Idaho.  Life there was pretty simple for a country
boy, and I enjoyed growing up in that area.  I moved around a lot after
graduating from Blackfoot High School, but eventually ended up in Boise.  I
tried many different jobs before I found my current trade.  I work at
Albertsons as a Front End Manager.  My duties are taking care of the checkers,
baggers, and front end issues.  I met my beautiful wife Jennifer while working
for Albertsons.  She was a customer, and I would go and flirt with her every
time I saw her come in.  We were married in the Boise Idaho temple on December
8, 2001.  We live in Rockhampton subdivision and Jenniferâ??s parents live less
than two miles away.  My parents live in Arizona and try to visit as much as
possible.  We just had our first baby, a girl named Cassandra Lynn.  We are
looking forward to the future and the blessings and surprises it holds.

Relief Society
We are grateful to the Isabells for all their efforts in helping us with our
food storage.  Onions and macaroni are scheduled for
Dry Packing on Tuesday, Feb. 11th at their home at l p.m. and at 7 p.m. Please
contact them if you are interested.

The Relief Society at present has two cluster groups organized.  The Book
Review group is under the direction of Catherine Dayley
and the Scrapbooking group is under the direction of Laura Pearce.  If you are
interested in participating in either of these groups please contact these
sisters.

Our January Home, Family, and Personal Enrichment meeting was a great success.
Probably most of the sisters have started a better organization plan in their
homes, because of the great instruction that
was given and the Lord loves a house of order.

Someone has said that H.F.P.E. meeting stands for Her Favorite Place
Ever!!

We will have another great meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 4th at 7 p.m. Please
husbands, tend the children on that night so your wives
may enjoy the evening.

As a Relief Society Presidency we are very impressed with all the loving care
that we witness taking place and are so grateful to live in such a caring ward
of wonderful brothers and sisters.  You are following the words of the Prophet
Joseph Smith when he said: "Let kindness, charity, and love crown your works."
  We are also told in Doc. & Cov. 137:9" The Lord will judge all men according
to their works, according to the desire of their  HEARTS.'"    LOVE  is the
identifying quality by which we can be known as followers of Christ "By this
shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have  LOVE  one to another."
 John13:35
Sharlene Williams

Primary
This month we have a rare and exciting opportunity to hear the Prophet speak to
the children.  On Saturday February 8th at 2:00 p.m. will be a satelitte
broadcast from Salt Lake.  It is for all primary children ages 7-11, their
parents, and primary leaders.  We hope that everyone will be able to attend.

We would like to welcome some new leaders to our primary board.  Richard and
Motoko West as CTR 6 teachers, Cindy Grames as Sunbeam teacher.  Heather
Chapman will be assisting in the CTR 7 class and we have Mark and Rhonda Cluff,
and Adam and Tanya Parker as nursery workers.  We want to welcome all of you to
our board.  We appreciate your willingness to serve. Thank you to Jason
Melville for serving in the nursery.

We would like to congratulate Kylee Haws who just turned twelve and graduated
from Primary.  Also this month Alyssa Barber will be graduating.  We will miss
these young ladies, but we know they will enjoy Young Womens.

Have a very Happy Valentine's Day this month.  It is a great time to show extra
love.
                        Marie Morgan

Young Men
Someone has written, â??Love is a verb.â?? It requires doingâ??not just saying
and thinking. The test is in what one does, how one acts, for love is conveyed
in word and deed.â??
David B. Haight

Young Women
Another WONDERFUL month has passed for the Young Women.  This month, with
the young men, we went bowling at the Student Union Building.  It was a
fun experience.

This month will be a busy one for us.  The activities are as follows:
February 5 - YM/YW Combined Activity - ice skating
February 12 - YW combined - Fitness Night
February 19 - Laurels - Soup Kitchen
                        Mia Maids - Craft Night
                        Beehives - Friendship Night
February 26 - Laurels - bowling w/ priests
                        Mia Maids - fitness
                        Beehives - Chinese painting
If you have any questions, talk to your YW leaders.
Laurels- Kathleen Clements 562-1559
Mia Maids- Tami Oyler 362-2974
Beehives- Ann Croft 362-1274
There is only one birthday this month in our organization.  Our Personal
Progress supervisor, Sister Karine Maynard, is having one on the 2nd.

This month, we will welcome Alyssa Barber to YWâ??s.  She will turn 12 on the
26th of February

New Beginnings is on February 9 at 7:00 pm at the church.  All young women and
their parents are invited.

There is a stake dance on February 15th.  All youth should come!

The Winter Best of Especially for Youth is coming up.  It will take place on
February 22 from 9:00 am to noon at the Meridian West Stake Center on Black Cat
and Cherry Lane.  All youth ages 14 and older are encouraged to attend.
Parents are also welcome to come.

We hope you all have a wonderful month!
Lacey Holmes

Sunday School
A thought for todayâ??s lesson on being born again:
We sometimes mistake the process of being born again, to line upon line become
like our Father in Heaven, as a do-it-yourself process.  â??If I try really,
really hard, and check off everything on my list of things to
do, and write down my New Yearâ??s resolutions and somehow muster enough will
to fulfill them, then I can become good.â??  That describes a fundamental flaw
in thinking.  Certainly, we obey the commandments, but the key to the process
is submitting our will to Godâ??s, seeking repentance and change through the
atonement, and relying on revelation through the Spirit to lead us to that
mighty change of heart.  To bring to pass our immortality and eternal life are
Godâ??s work and his glory and he is capable of doing his work, if we will let
him.  If we will not resist him, but trust him and learn to follow his Spirit,
he promises he can do great
things with us. How could we, who in this mortal state, cannot completely
comprehend God, make ourselves like him, without his specific tutoring through
his Spirit?
Maurine Jensen Proctor

Missionaries & Servicemen
Knowing that we should love is not enough. But when knowledge is applied
through service, love can secure for us the blessings of heaven.
           David B. Haight

PFC Cox, Brandon K.
1st CEB SUP CO, HE PLT
Box 555554
Camp Pendleton CA 92055-5554

Pvt Oâ??Toole, Jonathan P.
3444 Ile De France Box #61
Fort Wainwright AK 99703

Elder Matt Shaffer
6400 SW 20th Ave #142
Gainesville FL 32607

Elder Brice Barson
China Hong Kong Mission
2 Cornwall Street, Kowloon Tong
Kowloon, Hong Kong
China

Elder Shayne Holmes
MTC Mailbox 136
MEX - HER 0310
2005 N. 900 E.
Provo, UT 84604-1793

Ward Leaders
Bishop        Neil Barson             362-9541
Counselor   Bill Lewis                288-0829
Counselor   Scott Lloyd              362-1981
H. Priests   Joel Dixon               362-9228
Elders         Jared Hill                362-3384
Missionary
Relief Soc.  Marilyn Lewis         288-1581
Y. Men        Rex Cook              887-9487
Y.  Women  Kathleen Clements 562-1559
Primary        Marie Morgan       888-2510
Sun. School Jason Melville         562-1049
S. Adults     Janet Boulter          362-5918
Y S Adults  Jen Erickson           362-9237

Etc.
A scrapbook group is meeting the third Thursday of each month at 7:30 PM at the
home of Laura Pearce. Beginners and experts are welcome. For questions please
call Laura at 562-0152.

Are you interested in joining book group? The book that will be reviewed this
month is Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan. Contact Catherine Dailey
for more information.

Or how about Choir? The choir is always looking for new members (especially
male voices). Rehearsals are held after church from 2:45 to 3:30 in the Relief
Society Room. Weâ??re starting to practice now for Easter and would love to
have you join us!