[m14] Word of the Ward

  • From: "Ron" <RGRAMES@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "M14" <m14@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:44:21 -0600

Meridian 14th Ward                                   October 2002

What we need today is not more prophets. We have the prophets. But what
we need is more people with listening ears. That is the great need of
our generation.                                                     -J.
Reuben Clark, Jr.

=20
Bishopric Message
   I am convinced more than ever that the simple basics of the gospel
are what will save us and strengthen our testimonies more than anything
else.
    Simple OBEDIENCE is all too often overlooked as being too
simplistic.  Many of the children of Israel died from snakebite because
looking on a brazen serpent was too easy, yet those who were obedient
lived.  Naaman was angry because bathing in the River Jordan seven times
was too easy, yet when his humble servant convinced him that it =
wouldn=B9t
hurt to try, and he did it, he was cleansed of his leprosy.
    PRAYER is such an easy thing to do when we are humble.  Is prayer
hard for us?  Then we are too proud to admit that we can=B9t live this
life on our own.  Indeed, are we not dependent upon God for our every
breath?
    PERSONAL SCRIPTURE STUDY will do more to invite the Spirit than
anything I know.  Modern-day prophets have repeatedly told us this fact.
Are we looking beyond the mark and are not seeing this simple truth
right before
our eyes?
   Consistent TEMPLE WORSHIP and SUNDAY WORSHIP provide essential
elements of repentance and communion with God on a regular basis.  We
receive strength from the saints as we strengthen them.  Simple eternal
truths are taught in Sunday meetings.  The Sacrament becomes the focal
point of our repentance efforts.  Temple worship provides a refresher
course of gospel lessons we knew before we came to earth. When we
neglect these simple exercises, we neglect our own spiritual
nourishment and health.  In the spiritual famine in which we now live,
we simply must take care to feed our spirits and nourish our testimonies
by living these simple, yet essential, principles.  As we do so, not
only will we survive this famine, but will become =93fatter=94 in our
spiritual growth.
Bishop Barson

High Priests
I say, in the deepest of humility, but also by the power and force of a
burning testimony in my soul, that from the prophet of the Restoration
to the prophet of our own year, the communication line is unbroken, the
authority is continuous, and light, brilliant and penetrating, continues
to shine. The sound of the voice of the Lord is a continuous melody and
a thunderous appeal. For nearly a century and a half there has been no
interruption.  Man never needs to stand alone=85.the Lord definitely =
calls
prophets today and reveals his secrets unto them as he did yesterday, he
does today, and will do tomorrow; that is the way it is.
Spencer W. Kimball

Elders
When the enemy is near, and when the stormy clouds arise, and the war
clouds approach, even then we can feel free and quiet, and be satisfied
that all is right in Israel. It is only for us to be ready to do our
duty, to serve our President with all our heart, with all our might,
with all our feelings, with all our property and energies, and with all
things that the Lord has put into our hands.
Lorenzo Snow

Relief Society
Super Saturday will be held all day on Saturday, October 26 (NOTE NEW
DATE). Craft items are on display for sign-up by the north doors (by the
telephone). Volunteers are needed to bring homemade soup for the
luncheon and treats for the tasting table. Come and enjoy a fun day and
the fellowship of the ward sisters.=20

Primary
This month in Primary the theme is "I prepare to go to the temple as I
follow Heavenly Father's plan for me."  The Scripture for the month is
the 4th article of faith.
 =20
We are preparing for our Primary Sacrament presentation that will be
held on November 10.  Assignments will be going home with the children
the week after Stake Conference. If your child receives an assignment
and will not be here that day, please let us know so we can get someone
else for that assignment. =20

Thanks to all of you who attended the Primary Board Meeting.  It was an
informative and enjoyable meeting. Thanks for the extra effort.  We
really love and appreciate all of our board members. They make our jobs
much easier.=20

We would like to welcome Aaron Dixon, Misti Kindall, and Kara Tolman to
our board.  We are very excited to have them with us.=20

It is such a joy to work in primary with your children.  They have such
beautiful spirits.  I look forward each Sunday to Primary to be able to
spend time with them and feel of their love. They are full of knowledge
and love for the gospel. I learn a lot from them each Sunday. Thank you
for sharing your children with me each Sunday. The Scripture is true
that a little child shall lead them.=20

I would also like to congratulate Bryson Lewis on his baptism last
month, and Ashley and Brittany Ludwig on their recent baptisms.
Congratulations!!
                                 Marie Morgan=20

Sunday School
If you want to know what the Lord has for this people at the present
time, I would admonish you to get and read the discourses that have been
delivered at this conference; for what these brethren have spoken by the
power of the Holy Ghost is the mind of the Lord, the will of the Lord,
the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation.
Harold B. Lee

Young Men & Women
If you will follow the admonitions of the Lord and heed the counsel of
His chosen servants in their callings as prophets, seers, and
revelators, I promise you that love at home and obedience to parents
will increase; faith will be developed in the hearts of the youth of
Israel and they will gain power and strength to combat the evil
influences and temptations which beset them. Each of our homes may
veritably become a little heaven on earth.
Ezra Taft Benson

Young Single Adults
Attention all Young Single Adults! Here are the Stake YSA activities for
the month of October!! As you can see we have many great activities
planned. Just as a reminder we try to have activities every Thursday
night, except for the 2nd Thursday because of Temple Night. On the 3rd
of October, our ward is in Charge of the Study Class. After our Gospel
discussion, I hope to have enough people there to play some games, so
that we can get to know one another better!! Please COME!!

3rd- Thursday-Gospel Study Class (14th ward is in charge); 7:00 p.m. At
the Stake Center
5-6 General Conference
10- Thursday-Temple Night*
11- Friday- Institute Activity
17- Thursday- Ballroom Dancing Instruction  (16th ward); 7:00 p.m.
(Stake Center)
24- Thursday- Gospel Study Class  (Riva Ridge ward) 7:00 p.m. (Stake
Center)
25- Friday- Del Sol Day of Dance at B.S.U.
25- Friday- Multi-Stake Activity & Pumpkin Carving 7:00 p.m.(location to
be announced)

For institute activities please call the Institute hotline 345-0440. If
you have any questions please call me at 362-9237 and leave me a
message!! Or you can Email me at jenniferickson@xxxxxxx anytime! Thanks!
Jennifer Erickson

Activities Committee
We would like to thank everyone who participated in our September
activity. We know the activity was such a success because of each of
you! Thank you for your attendance, and a big thanks to those who signed
up to help and brought all the great appetizers and desserts. We also
appreciate those who volunteered to help us with the main course.

Our next activity will be in December. It will be a family Christmas
dinner and program. Mark your calendars for Friday, December 6. More
information and details will follow in November. We hope to see you
there!

Missionaries & Servicemen

Elder Matt Shaffer
6400 SW 20th Ave #142
Gainesville FL 32607

Elder Tim Brown
Kleine Rosengasse 1
96450 Coburg
Deutschland

Elder Brice Vaughn Barson
MTC Mailbox #60
CHN-HK 1203
2005 N. 900 E.
Provo, Utah   84604-1793

PFC Cox, Brandon K.
1st CEB SUP CO, HE PLT
Box 555554
Camp Pendleton CA 92055-5554

Pvt O=92Toole, Jonathan P.
3444 Ile De France Box #61
Fort Wainwright AK 99703

Ward Leaders
Bishop        Neil Barson       362-9541
Counselor   Bill Lewis          288-0829
Counselor   Scott Lloyd         362-1981
H. Priests    Joel Dixon        362-9228
Elders          Julio Pineda    562-8090
Missionary  Michael Brown       362-9116
Relief Soc.   Marilyn Lewis     288-1581
Y. Men        Rex Cook          887-9487
Y.  Women  Kathleen Clements    562-1559
Primary       Marie Morgan      888-2510
Sun. School Jared Hill          362-2671
Y. Adults    Jen Erickson       362-9237

One More Thought
A woman had been recently baptized. One of her co-workers asked her what
it was like to be a Christian.

She was caught off guard and didn=92t know how to answer, but when she
looked up she saw a jack-o-lantern on the desk and answered: =93It=92s =
like
being a pumpkin.=94 The worker asked her to explain.

=93Well, God picks you from the patch, brings you in and washes off all
the dirt on the outside that you got from being around all the other
pumpkins. Then he cuts off the top and takes all the yucky stuff out
from inside. He removes all those seeds of doubt, hate, greed, etc. Then
he carves you a new smiling face and puts his light inside to shine for
all to see.=94

Now see if you can look at a =93pumpkin=94=97of any kind=97 in the same =
way.