[m14] February Word of the Ward

  • From: "Ron" <RGRAMES@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <M14@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:53:36 -0700

                                                            Word of the Ward
                                            Meridian 14th Ward February 2002

                                Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only
light
                                can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate;
                                only love can do that.
                                -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Bishopric Message
I have been thinking about what I could write that would be inspiring and
thought provoking.
This is difficult for me: a man of simple education who struggles to put his
thoughts to words
on Sundays when I conduct.

As I have thought about what to write, I return to the same topic each time.
"The Pure Love
of Christ." But how can one write about something, which is given to the
heart; something that
all righteous desires wrap themselves around. If the Pure Love of Christ has
been born within
the soul, when a question of direction comes in our lives, we automatically
choose the direction
based upon Christ, and that He suffered beyond what anyone can imagine
because He loves us.
Because we love him, we will choose a righteous course so He does not have
to suffer and weep
for us.

One way to gain the Pure Love of Christ is by prayer and scripture study. I
would like to give
each of you a challenge. In your personal scripture study time, turn to the
topical guide "Jesus
Christ, Atonement through". Select the first scripture listed and turn to
it. Take a pen and paper
and kneel down. Turn to the scripture and read the passage. Pray for
understanding and read it
again. Write down the first thing to come to mind, even if it does not have
anything to do with the
scripture. The next day, move on to the next scripture on the list, and
proceed to pray and write
down your thoughts. Please continue for at least two weeks. After two weeks,
look at what you
have written down and see if there is a progression of understanding. Each
day continue to read
from the topical guide about Christ and his life, each time praying and
writing. I promise you that
your mind and heart will open to a greater understanding of the love that
our Father in Heaven has for us.

We love you and appreciate all of you for your support and service.
Brother Bill Lewis

High Priests
We need to remember that though we make our friends, God has made our
neighbors-everywhere.
Love should have no boundary; we should have no narrow loyalties.
Howard W. Hunter

Elders
In D&C 31:9, the Lord counsels husbands and fathers to "govern your house in
meekness." According
to President Harold B. Lee, "A meek man is defined as one who is not easily
provoked or irritated and
forbearing under injury or annoyance. Meekness is not synonymous with
weakness. The meek man is
the strong, the mighty, the man of complete self-mastery" (Decisions For
Successful Living, p. 60).

In order for households to be filled with love and peace, it is important
that each of us become a master
of oneself. Gaining control of our passions allows us to become more
effective spouses and parents.
President Brigham Young counseled: "Bring up your children in the love and
fear of the Lord; study their
dispositions and their temperaments, and deal with them accordingly, never
allowing yourself to correct
them in the heat of passion; teach them to love you rather than to fear you"
(Teachings of Presidents of
the Church: Brigham Young [1997], 172).

The obtaining of self-mastery is a life long journey. Yet with faith in the
Lord Jesus Christ, we can
incorporate the virtue of meekness into our lives (See D&C 103: 36 & Moroni
10:32).

Relief Society
We would like to thank Sister Laura Brotherson for being our guest speaker
at our last Home, Family
and Personal Enrichment meeting. She spoke to us on depression in women and
the signs and helps
for us to watch for. She had some great handouts and the RS Presidency has
extra copies if you need one.

We are looking forward to the new year and al of the exciting HFPE nights we
have planned. On
February 5, we are so pleased to have Sister Joan Carpender as a guest
speaker. If you have not
heard what a dynamic and just plain fun person Sister Carpender is, you are
in for a treat. Please
come and be prepared to leave uplifted and spiritually fed.

We have plenty of the new manual Teachings of Harold B. Lee. Just contact on
of the RS Presidency
and we will get you a copy. Also check with the sisters you visit teach and
pick up copies for them
if needed. It's a great way to show them you care.

As a Presidency, we want all of the sisters to know how much you are loved.
We pray for you and are
constantly seeking ways to reach and serve you. Please help us by informing
us of needs you see around you.

May we all remember how blessed we are and how much our heavenly parents
love us.

Primary
The theme for Primary for the month of February is: "My Family can be
together forever through the
blessings of the temple." It is exciting to be able to teach the children
about the temple this year.

We want to welcome Janet Koyle to our Primary Board. She will be teaching
our CTR 6a class.
We are excited to have her with us.

Congratulations to Lauryn Barber and Brianna Davis on their recent baptisms.

The Stake Primary Presidency visited us for ward conference and shared two
very touching stories
with us. It was a treat to have them with us.

It is a great joy to be able to serve in the primary with all of your
wonderful children.
Marie Morgan

Sunday School
Love is like the Polar Star. In a changing world, it is a constant. It is of
the very essence of the gospel.
It is the security of the home. It is the safeguard of community life. It is
a beacon of hope in a world
of distress.
Gordon B. Hinckley

Young Men
Much of our love is confined to mere lip service and dreams of good deeds
accomplished, but true
love must be expressed in unselfish acts of kindness that bring others
closer to our Heavenly Father.
Jack Goaslind, Jr.

Young Women
We are really excited about our new theme for this year: Standing in Holy
Places. We are also
excited about the new changes with the Young Women Personal Progress
program. We are going
to be talking about some of these changes and our new theme at New
Beginnings. Our New
Beginnings will be February 10 at 7:00 PM. We hope that all of the parents
will try to come and
support their young women. We are also thrilled to invite our new Beehives
coming in this year
and their parents to attend also. The young women who will be coming in are
Chelsea Herrick,
Rachel Haddon, Sara Haddon, Rachelle Pirak, and Breanna Koyle.

February Birthdays:
2) Karine Maynard
11) Kimberly Cook
28) Christa Rock

Activities Committee
A reminder to all parents of Cub Scouts that the Blue and Gold banquet will
be held this month.
Contact your son's Cub Scout leader for more information.

Missionaries & Servicemen

Elder Matt Shaffer
Florida Jacksonville Mission
8651 Bay Pine Road Ste 104
Jacksonville FL 32256

Elder Tim Brown
Kurzbauergasse 3 / 4
1020 Wien
AUSTRIA

Brandon Cox

Jonathon O'Toole

Ward Leaders
Bishop                                     Neil Barson 362-9541
Counselor                                Bill Lewis 288-0829
Counselor                                Scott Lloyd 362-1981
High Priests Group Leader       Joel Dixon 362-9228
Elder's President                      JulioPineda 562-8090
Ward Mission Leader              Michael Brown 362-9116
Relief Society President            Marilyn Lewis 288-1581
Young Men's President            Rex Cook 887-9487
Young Women's President       Kathleen Clements 562-1559
Primary President                     Marie Morgan 888-2510
Sunday School President          Shawn Patterson 362-2671