Re: lua_yield is painfully slower in LuaJIT 2.0 than Lua 5.1.4

  • From: agentzh <agentzh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 19:56:03 -0700

Hello!

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Coda Highland <chighland@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A question:
>
> How does it add up in terms of real time?
>
> It may be that lua_yield is proportionally more expensive in LuaJIT,
> but I have my doubts that it's ACTUALLY more expensive. Is LuaJIT
> still capable of doing more in the same amount of real time?

To quote the related paragraph from my last mail to (indirectly)
answer this question:

"And ab (ApacheBench) also shows that now it is indeed much faster (60k
q/s) than we were using LuaJIT 2.0 before (50k q/s)."

So that we can see that the standard Lua 5.1.4 interpreter is a lot
*faster* (17%+ overall) than LuaJIT 2.0 for exactly the same test
case. This matches the results as shown in the FlameGraphs.

I should add that when I eliminated the lua_yield() call altogether,
then the same test case can actually achieve 70k q/s using ab with
LuaJIT 2.0.

Best regards,
-agentzh