Re: ffi.cdef() for module writers

  • From: steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 14:07:22 +0200

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Francesco Abbate
<francesco.bbt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Seems to be an excellent starting point. I'm just perplexed about the
> new "include" function you introduce.

Yes, this is exactly what I thought too.  require 'c.stdio' is
non-magical, and everything is kept separate in the 'c' package.

This relates to the most obvious distribution mechanism, LuaRocks;
would be easier to package something that conformed to the usual
convention.

IHMO, getting a LuaRocks package together is better than trying to aim
for inclusion in major distros. These all have LuaRocks anyway, and
it's a lot easier to add new versioned packages to the LR repo than to
a distro repo, which is important for a fast-developing package.

(LR needs however to have a way of indicating that a package requires
LuaJIT.  If luaffi were in the repos, that could be given as a
conditional requirement for vanilla Lua)

steve d.