Re: another small wish

  • From: Mike Pall <mike-1205@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 19:25:40 +0200

Cosmin Apreutesei wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Mike Pall <mike-1205@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Anyway, the questions you're asking sound like you're going for
> > some awfully complicated abstractions, which is rarely a good
> > idea. If this is still your WIN32 bindings, then I'd be very
> > surprised if all of that is truly necessary or even helpful. :-)
>
> Funny how people react on the second wish-like feedback they get from
> the same user in a short period of time - now you're a noob and must
> be doing something wrong :)

I'm sorry if I have offended you. That was not my intention. It's
just that the last few questions you've been asking have left me
puzzled.

I still don't know why one would want to use ctypes as table keys
or why one would want to traverse through tables (with pairs()?!)
and compare cdata values for equality. Really, I don't.

Very often when I get 'strange' feature requests, it later turns
out that someone tried a couple things and ended up with a
complicated solution for a simple problem. I see only the end of
the thought process and then have to turn down the feature request.
Of course people are not going to be overly happy with that ...

However, if the requestor would tell us:

  "I'm trying to do A with B, which didn't work. Now I've come up
  with complicated solution C, which needs feature D. Am I still
  on the right track?"

... then several people (not just me) could voice in with
suggestions on doing it the "right way" (if there is one) or
reformulate the problem.

> My code is online so you can verify your intuition about my
> complicated abstractions :)

Sadly, I don't have the time to hunt down every piece of Lua code
and do a full code critique. I generally try to give hints on best
practices, if I see code snippets posted here.

> My postings are to provide user feedback. I already feel very
> comfortable with the API as it, we're talking edges here. Also, I
> can't answer to the feasibility of implementing these things so I
> don't know which are a complete waste of your time and attention.
>
> So, what do you suggest I do with my wishes? Tell'em or shove'em?

No no, please keep posting your feature requests! But it would
definitely help to give them some context or motivation. Thank you!