Re: LuaJIT 2.1 Profiler released

  • From: Luke Gorrie <luke@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 18:33:49 +0200

Hi Mike,

On 10 September 2013 19:26, Mike Pall <mike-1309@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The git repo for LuaJIT 2.1 now features an integrated statistical
> profiler with very low overhead.
> Feedback welcome!

I've started using the new profiler in anger now. I'm really
impressed. It's easy to use and it's making it easy to speed up code.

I used it today and it lead me to some surprisingly effective small
optimizations. Some details:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/snabb-devel/w1TIq5Ar6Bc

I am stubbornly resisting preemptively applying all the optimization
advice - always use 'local', avoid unsigned values, etc - and it's
great to have a tool to find cases where it really matters and I
should change something.

Thanks very much Mike and GIANTS Software!

Cheers,
-Luke