Re: Hypothetical ? concerning LuaJIT, iOS, and consoles.

  • From: Lance Thornblad <lance.thornblad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 17:56:05 -0600

Oh, I was under the impression it was a security restriction that could
be
gotten around on jail-broken iOS devices. What you're describing -
wouldn't
that also restrict native applications?

iOS doesn't enforce W^X at the OS level -- Safari itself uses a JIT.
(And until recently, third-party apps couldn't even get Javascript JIT
in embedded web views -- Apple finally got off their butts to allow
that.) Apple enforces it through the App Store approvals process.

But until they do "get off their butts," I'm curious as to whether it would
be possible to generate a .o (or whatever the iOS equivalent is) and link
it at the OS level..?