Re: Hi!

  • From: Evan Wies <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 11:40:24 -0400

Hi Sanjoy,

I have a project in mind regarding a sampling profiler for the LuaJIT VM. Mike Pall has referred to such a thing here:

To do it properly would take some peeking under the hood of the LuaJIT VM, some code written in C, and some Lua code using FFI. An initial implementation would probably take the time-frame you suggest -- the full realization would take longer, but at least it would have some legs.

I would mentor you on it.    If you are interested, contact me off-list.

Regards,
Evan

On 10/09/2012 09:38 PM, Sanjoy Das wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a software engineer with a keen interest in virtual machines and
related technology.  Currently I'm playing around with
state-of-the-art VMs in an attempt to observe, learn and improve.

Can you guys suggest a small bite-sized project I could work on to
familiarize myself with LuaJIT internals?  Something that would take
someone with prior VM experience (but no experience with LuaJIT)
around 7-10 days to implement?  This way I get my hands dirty with the
source and, if my work is deemed good enough, LuaJIT profits as well.

Thanks!