Re: [ANN] LuaJIT-2.0.0-rc1

  • From: Mike Pall <mike-1211@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 00:31:19 +0100

Florian Weimer wrote:
> Regarding commit 1d5c2ce4e295562daddfe6ce8e470749f0d42542, another
> source of callbacks into compiled are error callbacks (which are
> invoked only rarely).  Perhaps it might make sense to mention this
> case as well?

I'll add that to the docs for 2.0.1.

> Do you plan to fix this eventually?  It's a bit scary.  Any fix seems
> to require to save the stack pointer and possibly a pointer to the
> side exit in the Lua state on every C call, which introduces
> additional overhead. 8-(

You'll need the non-volatile register contents, too. And these are
hard to retrieve. The x64 unwinder doesn't like the frame for the
JIT-compiled code. And on non-x64 platforms there's no unwind
information.

I don't think there's a good solution to this problem. "Avoid
callbacks from C" is the well-worn advice I can offer.