[louisianaleps] Re: [louisianaleps]

  • From: Jonathan Clark <falloutbird1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LouisianaLeps <LouisianaLeps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 14:59:29 -0700

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I've changed some of my BAMONA sighting
sp. suggestions and will do the same w/ my photos. Hope to get correct
i.d.'s for them all. ..eventually. haha. Skippers and their ilk and kin are
pretty fascinating, I'm finding -- lots of possibilities but challenging to
distinguish.
Looking forward to October 3rd count at the garden. Can't miss that!
Jonathan

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Jonathan Clark <falloutbird1@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

lalep-ers,

I made a couple of trips -- 8/14/15 and 8/16/15 -- to the Catahoula
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden and nearby parts of Kisatchie National
Forest in Grant Parish. On the 14th I spent a while at the garden at first,
then walked about 0.3 - 0.4 mile along the trail on the east side of the
block of woods SW of the garden and a short drive down part of Work Center
Rd /147. On the 16th I spent most of the morning walking approx 2 miles of
trail/dim road around the northern part of the perimeter of the
aforementioned block of woods including the east-west 'shortcut' through
the woods, and afterward spent a short time at the garden.
Below are lists for each day's trip, including links to Flickr for
photos of some of the one's I'm least certain about the i.d. of. If you'd
like to see the complete Flickr album for the trips (Leps are together in
tax. order), that's here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264200@N07/albums/72157657024353938
I've still not i.d.-ed all w/ certainty and any suggestions as to
correct i.d. (lots of "tentative i.d...." in the image titles!) is very
much welcomed. Though I have spend more than a few hours trying to get as
close to the truth as I can.

8/14/15
8:00 am - 11:30 am
warm, sunny, survey of butterfly garden then a walk along trail at east
edge of woods and 'meadow', then drive down road 147 to junctn w/ 146

Silver-spotted Skipper - 1
Northern Cloudywing? - 1
4 pics -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264200@N07/20402814919/in/album-72157657024353938/

Southern Cloudywing? - 1
2 pics -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264200@N07/20580935632/in/album-72157657024353938/

duskywing-like Hesp. sp. - 1
Common Checkered-Skipper - 5
Swarthy Skipper? - 2
2 pics (both of same indiv.) -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264200@N07/20402894009/in/album-72157657024353938/

Fiery Skipper - 1
Crossline Skipper? - 1
3 pics -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264200@N07/20590060415/in/album-72157657024353938/

small skipper sp. - 1
Pipevine Swallowtail - 4
Spicebush Swallowtail - 19
Cloudless Sulphur - 12
Little Yellow - 4
Gulf Fritillary - 2
Pearl Crescent - 1
Common Buckeye - 1
Carolina Satyr - 10
small moth sp. - 3
8/16/15
7:46 am - 11:18 am
mix of cloud and clear becoming sunny, light breeze, mild start becoming
warm but not too hot.
walked approximately 2 miles on track through 'meadow' and pine forest,
plus a survey of butterfly garden

Horace's Duskywing (tentative i.d.) - female -1, male -1 (both at 9:56 am)
3 pics -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264200@N07/20611017116/in/album-72157657024353938/

duskywing-like Hesp. sp. (seen only briefly) - 3
Common Checkered-Skipper - 15 (first seen at 8:07 am)
Swarthy Skipper? - 1 (10:25-ish am)
2 pics -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264200@N07/20014630764/in/album-72157657024353938/

Southern Skipperling - 1 (possibly 3 total or 2 of other similar sp.) (
first seen at 9:15 am)
2 pics -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264200@N07/20014842554/in/album-72157657024353938/

probable Sachem - 1 (9:57)
Southern Broken-Dash? - 1 (11:05)
2 pics -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264200@N07/20611812866/in/album-72157657024353938/

Pipevine Swallowtail - 5 (... 9:05)
Spicebush Swallowtail - 17 (...9:24)
Palamedes Swallow - 1 (10:50)
Giant Swallowtail - 1 (10:50)
Cloudless Sulphur - 7 (...10:43)
Little Yellow - 5+ (... 8:55)
Gray Hairstreak - 2 (...10:08)
Eastern Tailed-Blue - 1 (7:55)
Gulf Fritillary - 3 (...8:45)
Common Buckeye - 4 (...8:00)
Red Admiral - 1 (...9:34)
Carolina Satyr - 4 (11:00)
Vetch Looper Moth? (tentative i.d.) - 3+ (... 8:10)
4 pics -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264200@N07/20015170514/in/album-72157657024353938/

Good luck in the field!
Jonathan Clark,