[louisianaleps] Sightings at LA Arboretum, Chicot St Pk, July 3, 2015

  • From: "Craig Marks" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "cwmaplc@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 22:33:10 -0400

I drove up to Evangeline Parish and hiked several trails at the LA Arboretum.
Most of the butterflies seen where in the garden around the Caroline Dormon
cabin and down in the low section of the Wetland Trail where the gazebo is
located. There are numerous buttonbushes in bloom in that area, attracting
numerous swallowtails and other butterflies. There is a great amount of cane
along these trails. I anticipate Creole PE and Yehl Sks will also be present at
this location at the right time of the season.

5 Zebra ST (all fresh, two in copula);
6 E. Tiger ST (including two large black females)
5 Giant ST
8 Spicebush ST
1 Cloudless Sul
22 Silvery Checker (not as impressive as Dave Patton's 85 earlier in the week
at Acadiana Park, but still a lot flying)
1 Am Snout
4 Red-spotted Purples
2 Hackberry Emps
6 Pearly-eyes (the two I could closely inspect were Southern PE)
8 Caro. Satyrs
1 Silver-spotted Sk
1 Tropical Checkered-skipper
1 Least Sk
1 Delaware Sk
4 Lace-wing Roadside Sks

Later, I saw a White-M HS at a location in Lafa. Parish where I have seen
this species numerous times over the last 10 years.

Craig Marks