[louisianaleps] Fwd: pictures of Northern Pearly-eyes from Sisily Island

  • From: Craig Marks <cwmaplc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:33:47 -0400 (EDT)

Subject: pictures of Northern Pearly-eyes from Sisily Island

   Because I've not been getting any posts to the new Louisiana listserv
address, I'm not sure if Jeff Trahan posted that he and I found what Ricky
Paterson identified as a Northern Pearly-eye at Sisily Island Hills WMA in
early June. All we had at that time was one photo that Jeff took so I went back
on 7/28 to get some specimens for futher analysis.

   There is no doubt in my mind that the suspected No. PE are, in fact, that
species. After spreading the specimens I obtained that weekend, I can clearly
see the antennae tips have the darker club when viewed from the dorsal side. I
attach one of those photos. #3577, a close up of a male's antenna.

    I have advised Ricky that his earlier diagnosis was right on.

    Not much else was flying there other than alot of Southern Pearly-eyes. It
is very dry there right now w/ no flowers blooming. I stopped at Thistlethwaite
on the way back and for the second week in a row found a Queen flying in the
roadside dtich that is so productive.

Thx, cwm