[louisianaleps] Cameron Parish, LA, 11/18/12 (sorry, I previously used the wrong title on this current report)

  • From: Craig Marks <cwmaplc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, sightings@xxxxxxxx, thisauldhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rseidler104@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, kroeatease@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 22:14:13 -0500 (EST)

After a week of cooler temps (down into the high 30's a couple of nights), the
weather warmed up for the past weekend, and I traveled to central Cameron
Parish Sunday, Nov. 18, to see what might still be flying. I started at about
9:45 at the Cameron Prairie NWR. A little after noon I moved to Lacassine Pool
in Jeff Davis Parish which is only 20-25 miles due east as a crow flies. I saw
22 species, but nothing unexpected. Ceranus Blues continue to be seen, but all
seen this day were worn. I would note that I haven't seen any Orange Sulphurs
since the spring, but this butterflies is one that I commonly see during our
milder winters. I estimate I easily saw between 250 and 300 individual
butterflies, primarily Ocola Sks, Phaon Cres and Buckeyes.

Here is the list for Cameron Prairie. . :

4 Cloudless Suls
1 Orange Sul
5 Little Yellows
1 Sleepy Orange
1 Gray HS
1 Ceranus Bls
A Phaon Cres
3 Pearl Cres;
A Gulf Frits
10 Buckeyes
1 Red Adms
3 Question Marks
1 Goatweed LW
1 Viceroy
1 Monarch
1 Long-tailed Sk
C Tropical Checkered-skippers
6 So. Sklg
5 Least Sks
11 Fiery Sks
1 Sachem
A Ocola Sks.

The list at Lacassine Pool was smaller, but the individual numbers were
actually higher.

1 Cloudless sul
1 Orange Suls
5 Sleepy Orangesw
3 Little Yellows
A Phaon Cres
3 Ceranus Bls
between 5 and 10 Gulf Frits
A Buckeyes
1 Viceroy
C Tropical Checkered-skippers
C Fiery Sks
7 Least Sks
A (very) Ocola Sks

I'm not sure if I'll get another trip into the field this year. I am in
Tennessee over the Thanksgiving Holiday, so iIwill not be around to take
advantage of the projected mild weather for the coming weekend.
. Craig Marks