[Louisiana Cemeteries] Unidentified Cemeteries in Louisiana - Louisiana Cemetery Preservation

  • From: LouisianaGenealogy Blogs <louisianagenealogyblogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: louisianacemeteries@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, LACEMETERYPRESERVATION@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:22:44 -0800 (PST)

https://listserv.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/wa-iub.exe?A0=LOUISIANA-ROOTS-L&X=527A6A73C67E7EBCBB

Louisiana Roots L List

Upon conducting a search of "cemetery" there are quite a few hits.  Further
reading is necessary to determine which posts are of interest.

There is a new message board at Ancestry/Rootsweb for Louisiana Cemetery
Preservation.  In addition to this board there is  a new list that may be
helpful in the  identification of cemeteries in Louisiana that are unknown.  By
"unknown" I mean that USGS does not have GIS information (LAT/LONG). It is
associated with the Geocaching website user "louisianacemeteries". Here is the
link from the user profile to the list.  If you are aware of an unknown,
abandoned, or endangered,  cemetery please subscribe to the list and post what
you do know about it, its general location or landmarks and maybe geocachers in
Louisiana can find its GIS information. I realize this is a stretch, but going
over the archives at LA-CEMETERIES does indicate that there are a few abandoned
and endangered cemeteries in  Louisiana.  Here is the mailing list description:

A number of Louisiana cemeteries do not appear on the USGS maps and are
unknown, abandoned, or endangered. This list is to organize and support the
historical significance of Louisiana cemeteries and Louisiana cemetery
preservation as well as make others aware of an unknown cemetery. Those
interested in this list may be genealogists, historians, society members,
parish government, churches or community members, those familiar with using
remote sensing equipment and GPS in locating cemeteries. (In order to identify
cemeteries to USGS for inclusion, GIS coordinates must be given.) Promoting
awareness is the first step to preservation. This list is new and I would love
to hear from anyone who has visited or geocached a cemetery in Louisiana. Some
of the things that I am interested in would  be the names and dates of persons
interred, condition of the cemetery, and the GIS location LAT/LONG. It would be
a fun scavenger hunt and assist in the preservation of Louisiana cemeteries!

Sincerely,

Louisiana Genealogy Blogs