[londonlua] next meetup with Wikimedia

  • From: Justin Cormack <justin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: londonlua@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 22:00:00 +0100

For our next meetup we are doing something a bit different, a joint
meetup with Wikimedia UK, on Sunday 19 May.

Wikipedia has recently added the ability to program templates in Lua,
making it "the encyclopaedia anyone can program". This is a really
exciting development, putting Lua in front of thousands of people.

We are doing a whole day event with Wikimedia. In the morning we will
go through how Lua in Wikipedia works, introducing templates and the
basics of Lua so it will be suitable for Lua beginners and Wikipedia
beginners. In the afternoon we will have a hands on session, helping
people build templates themselves. If you are a Lua programmer you can
help out a Wikipedian and vice versa!

Wikimedia UK will be providing lunch and refreshments during the day
as well as hosting the event in their offices.

I will put up a more detailed timetable shortly, and there will be
some more info here https://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Lua_on_Wikimedia -
if you could sign up there so we know how many people are coming tat
would be great (just edit the page, you do not need to create an
account).

Look forward to seeing you there! This is a really exciting development for Lua.

Justin