[lit-ideas] writing as such

  • From: Torgeir <phatic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2016 14:53:35 +0200

Dear Listers,

There's a wonderful moment in the recently published interview with Celine, filmed in his dwelling in the 1950s (reluctantly, which is becoming increasingly obvious as the reel continues, the interviewer taking a more demanding -- and demeaning -- stance in attempts to wrestle further concessions from a reclusive and withdrawn interviewee, particularly with claims that the author is coquettish and dishonest in his public appearances, until Celine comes straight out and pronounces that the only reasons for him granting the occasion in the first place are purely mercantile, as his publisher Guillmard has given so many advances that the only way for him to extract further concessions is by submitting to being interviewed, a task that is clearly of the excrusiating kind) when the legendary author makes a reference to the myth in Plato where Socrates retells the story of the king who would not allow writing to enter his kingdom. To Celine the story shows that an author needs to outdo the notion of writing in Socrates so as to demonstrate that the written word has a potentiality of its own, there is one part of Thamus' -- the mythical king who rejects writing as admissible techne -- deliberation he does not mention. When writing was presented to the king as a gift it was with the argument that it would improve memory and reason, since it would enable the kingdom to refer to events and decisions that have taken place before. Now, this is precisely the reason why Thamus REJECTS the gift: "why should I," he claims, "allow a technology that would REDUCE my domain of law-making?"

Why, indeed, should a leader accept limitations to his domain of governance? We should not forget, though, that Thamus was not only a king, but, in the mould of the Pharaoes, descended from the divine: he was a God-King.

--

mvh. torgeir
To change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub, vacation on/off,