[lit-ideas] Re: where there's a will there's a won't

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 14:00:44 +0200

On 7. Okt 2006, at 05:46, Eric Yost wrote:

... BTW, does anyone imagine sound in stereo?

That's a good question, Eric. I'm not sure - the sounds that i most distinctly and clearly 'imagine' (i.e., reproduce in the mind's ear, as it were) are the climactic parts of 'The Gates of Kiev' (from Ravel's orchestration of Mussorgsky's 'Pictures at an Exhibition') as performed by the NBC Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Arturo Toscannini (from an LP recording which had Horowitz performing the piano version - with not a few inimitable Horowitz 'fireworks' added - on the flip side). I 'call up' these aural 'images' (it has been a couple of decades since I heard the recording) for the sake of comparison whenever I hear a performance (either live or recorded) of this work. To date nothing (i.e., no-one) has come close ....

Unfortunately (with regards to your question), the Toscannini recording was 'mono' ....

Chris Bruce
revelling in that unforgettably dynamic performance, in
Kiel, Germany