[lit-ideas] Re: what did Indonesia do to deserve this?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 09:26:28 -0400

This all may be true.  However, Hitchens isn't addressing any underlying
problems.  He's saying basically they're nuts.  If they're nuts, we're
doomed.  Terrorism has been around forever.  Germany had their terrorist
gangs in the 70's.  The founders of Israel used it.  That's what I thought
realistic about Kerry's position that terrorism is like prostitution or
gambling.  It's here to stay.  We can't eradicate it.  All we can do is
reduce it to nuisance value. We hardly did that when we turned a camp fire
into a forest fire by invading a country on false pretenses.  He doesn't
address any of that.